1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rims and Tyre Upgrade

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by K_K, Jan 3, 2011.

1. K_K

K_K Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi all its been long time since I posted anything.

Here s a question to all d gurus If Iupgrade my alloys to 16" or 15" the odo meter readin will be incorrect, is there any way to fix this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    You can upgrade to 16" alloys.
    You can upgrade to 195/55 16" when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 70.67 mph
    You can upgrade to 205/55 16" when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 71.93 mph

Both are good and speedo error would not be much.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. K_K

K_K Amatore

Bangalore
    Thx Ravi How have U been was travellin a bit went to Mangalore and Ooty Had Fun.

Happy New Year to all :)
  5. K_K

K_K Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi Ravi My question was If I change the Rims size .I will get an odo error , i wanted to know How to Overcome The error as in Can I change the sensors or some thin like that.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    AFAIK, there are no sensors to compute distance traveled, it still relies on the age old method of number of revolutions of the wheel. So Odo error is related to the overall diameter of the wheel with tyre. Choosing a combination of wheel and tyre so that the overall diameter is close to that of 195/60 R15, will ensure that there will be little no error.
  7. K_K

K_K Amatore

Bangalore
    Cant anything be done to the system in the car to match the readings?? Mr Roy
    I seem to scrape my underbelly of the car a lot I also need to learn on how to avoid that other than driving diagonally over the humps.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Theoretically changing the pinion so that its rotation matchs the revolution of new wheel with the gear of the odo should job of matching the odo readings, but practically, the effort and cost involved will not be worth it.
    If you go through this thread -
    http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1450#p24907
    You will see that 175/70 R14 has a radius of 300.22mm, and 195/60R15 has a radius of 307.34mm. So changing over to this would give an additional GC of 7mm which is sufficient for most cases. I too face this problem of scraping, so when I change my tyres after the current ones wear out, I plan to go for 185/70R14 with current wheels or 195/60R15 if I change the rims.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree with royj.
    The old Emotion variants tyre size (175/70) has lowest GC. If you want to keep OE steel rim, change your tyre to 185/70 or if opting for 15" alloy, change it to 195/60.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Talked to my brother and my colleague who is and have been using Yokohama AVS ES 100. Both have used other tires and feels these are excellent tires, in fact you can use the car in rain just as in dry roads, only issue, tire needs replacement by 30k km, quite reasonable considering the lesser price that is paid.