1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Right Pulling and Steering vibrations after upgrading to 15" Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Dhileepan Karthi, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sathish_UPS - I know, you have been using it. Based on your feedback only, I am going to try changing the tyre profile. Hope that would solve this issue.
  2. Rev Happy Turbo

Rev Happy Turbo Novizio

Mumbai
    Oh and I forgot to mention different tyre pressure can also lead to the pulling that you mentioned..
    Most tyre shops don't have digital pressure gauge/ machines so it wont be close to accurate.
    Dhileepan Karthi likes this.
  3. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Rev Happy Turbo @Sathish_UPS @whitepunto76 @ - Hi Guys thanks for the inputs.

As suggested, I have changed to Linea 15" inch steel rims.

1. Returned the Yokohama 195 55 R15 tyres to the same guy
    2. Bought brand new 195 60 R15 Michelin Primacy ST3 tyres.
    3. Drove with Michelin on the same Alloys for few days. Steering vibrations got very much reduced. But still there was wobbling at high speed and left pulling was there.
    4. Checked the alloys again, they said, still there are some minor bends in 2 alloys, the problem could be because of that.
    5. Today, I took the car to, KHT Fiat cafe service centre.
    6. Along with full service, I replaced alloys with 15 inch Linea steel rims, hoping to end all these issues.

Now my Punto 1.3 Active, is running with 15 inch Linea steel rims, 195 60 R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. To make it worse, I am facing the same problems I faced with Yokohama S drive 195 55 R15 with alloys.

1. Tremendously, hyper sensitive steering vibrations and movements on bad roads
    2. Left pulling.

Now, after going through all these, I am feeling very bad on spending close to Rs.30,000 on this, I am left with my car in terrible driving condition.

None of these issues were there on stock setup, 165 80 R14 tyres with steel rims.

Now that, I have tried changing tyres, alloys, rims.

What could be the problem ?... PLEASE someone help me solve this issue.
  4. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Karthi:
    Where are you put up? If you are near Kanakapura road/Uttarahalli, I can accompany a drive.

Steering vibrations - Wheel balancing issue
    Left Pulling - Wheel Alignment issue

If its done in A1 Car centre, they have old equipment which may not suffice and Punto is sensitive to these alignment issues.
    Please take it to KHT Service - Whitefield. Give the Wheel alignment & Wheel Balancing to them.
    They will have correct readings. Take a test drive with the SA there. Probably Satish/Iqbal.

Ask them to resolve it. Else, it may be the issue with Steering Column/Suspension/Suspension Mounts.
    Please have patience. Few of these changes in Puntos/Lineas are delicate dont know for what reasons.

When I was using Alloys, it was always the alloy bend issues. I was pestered with doing alignment every 2000kms.
    It was issue with alloys. Later when I shifted to steel rims, it was good.

Visit Madhus for WA/WB. Get them corrected and ask for satisfactory test drive.
    Later visit KHT and get WA/WB done. This activity is to ensure experts provide their views as and when they have corrected the vibrations/pulling issues. Need dedicated one day effort.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    +1 for suggesting Madhus. Please go there. I had pretty bad experiences at 2 other locations (Iyengars near kamakya and at jp nagar, forgot the name). Not just the equipment's they have does faulty job, even the employees as well lethargic and unprofessional. The moment you observe them doing their job, you shall get the idea of what i am talking off.

The issue is also could be w.r.t lower arm or even suspension. But they are the last suspects once the previous mentioned checklist items are knocked off. Perhaps search this forum for some pointers on this issue.

Sorry to see that u go through this issue. Hope you resolve asap.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Initially I was also thinking the vibration issue was due to Alloy bend, but since it is still present, after you changed to new steel rims, you need to get balancing and alignment checked once again. Try Madhus.
    If this is not resolved, you have to take service center help to diagnose further.

Lots of us has upgraded the tyres and rims, so I don't see upgrade could be the reason.
  7. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    uii7cpM.png

@zenwalker @whitepunto76 @Ravi - I did wheel balancing and alignment after changing the rim wheels in KHT Fiat cafe. Sathish was taking care of my service. I will get in touch with him again about this.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Dhileepan Karthi
    Normally i do not trust/recommend these FASS guys for such jobs i.e washing and cleaning. Even during my service, i say nay for them to carry out such activities on my car. I prefer madhus.
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Dhileepan Karthi

The vibration when you installed the bend alloy wheel was due to the the bend alloys but after you ran them is due to some other reason.
    Hope this detail helps
    When you run your alloys in bend condition there are 2 component which get affected severly.
    1) the tires
    2) the lower arm bushes (wishbone suspension setup)

- tires
    when run with bend alloys even 1000 km they will develop a profile that of the alloy. The alloy not being a perfect cirle will make the tires also loose their circularity and become oval like alloys.If anybody says he can repair alloys he is making a fool of you .Tell him to show its truness on a lathe and do the pinch roller test. All they do do is visual inspection and making it dynamically balance at low speed.
    Now when this non circular tire runs on a car what it is going to damage first is lower arm bushes

- Lower arm bushes.
    Extremly low quality bushes made by AMP are the main guiding part in our beloved Fiat cars. Now when these are loaded with a non circular tires they develop additional stress because of continuous jumping of the suspension.Finallly they give up after say 1000 km or max 2000 km.If you see from outside they won't look like they are gone but if you remove the arm and see them then you will get to know.

NOw the symptoms

Bend alloys: Vibration at all speed above 40 kmph
    Defective bush only" Vibration at speed above 80 kmph
    worn out bushes : vibration at all speeds

Hope this helps
    Pradeepms and Dhileepan Karthi like this.
  10. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL - I would have driven these new tyres on alloys, hardly 100 -120 kms :blackeye::shy: