1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Right Pulling and Steering vibrations after upgrading to 15" Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Dhileepan Karthi, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi TFIians

I am having 2012 1.3 Punto MJD Active.

My current OEM tyres (JK) worn out too early at 23,000 itself. So, wherever I go for wheel alignment, I was told to change tyres. But I was looking to postpone.

Recently I bought 15" linea alloys from our TFIian @Sathish_UPS. There were few bends.

I got them fixed at A1 Car care, Jayanagar. After inspecting all 4 alloys, they charged me 6000 INR for all bend and twist removal.

At that time, a Honda city came to A1, to down size the tyres to 14 inch from Yokohama 195/55/R15.

Ilyas at A1, offered me to take these tyres for 7000 after taking back my old tyres.

Since, that honda city's Yokohama was in good shape and the car owner told me that it is new and he has run only 10K, I felt its a fair deal.

But actually, I was in a hurry to see my punto with these alloys. I exchanged my old 165/80/R14 tyres with Yokohama S drive 195/55/R15.

Initial test drive was fine.

Since last sunday, there are lot of vibrations in steering.

When ever passing above small path holes,as tire moves the steering also moves.
    While passing over the patchy roads,i feel the vibrations in the steering as well and felt like the steering will come into my hands and tried this with two different positions of steering wheel top most and lower most.

And there is right pulling in my car.

I took my car to Tyre Empire in HSR, after analysing it twice they said the problem is with the alloys.

I don't take this, as I saw the alloys was spinning perfectly in that inspection machine without any wobbling in A1.

I am not sure of the cause of the problem. My suspects.

1. Yokohoma S drive are unidirectional tyres. Will tyre rotation help, if the guys in A1 fixed the right tyres of city to my punto's left.
    2. There are still some bends in the alloys
    3. Is it because of the low profile . I should have gone for 195/60/R15 instead of 55.

Please share your views. I am really worried after spending 15,000 on this, I have ended up in this situation.

20150924041935.jpg
  2. Rev Happy Turbo

Rev Happy Turbo Novizio

Mumbai
    Generally you would want to first check the balancing & alignment.
    The next possibility is that the wheels weren't bolted to the car properly.
    If they weren't then the play could have damaged the wheel hub.

or maybe your steering rack may need attention or some other mechanical issue irrelevant to the tyres/rims.
    If the alignment and balancing wont sort out the issue... the workshop should be your next stop.
    Keep us posted.

Good luck!
    zenwalker and Dhileepan Karthi like this.
  3. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Rev Happy Turbo - Ya, . But I never had such issues with my stock tyres.
    My punto experience has been great so far. I changes the shoes on last sunday. I am facing these problems since then.
  4. Rev Happy Turbo

Rev Happy Turbo Novizio

Mumbai
    Well you could go back to "tyre Empire" and ask them to fit your car with some spare similar spec wheels/tyres and see if the issue still persists (trial error a bit time consuming). If it does then its probably mechanical issue.

If not then you will have your answer.
    Dhileepan Karthi likes this.
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Guys, please update the tyres to 195/60/R15 or max 195/65/R15. Nothing less as the overall circumference will impact the tyre and vehicle suspension.
    Why did you go for 195/55/R15? Just curious.
    Rev Happy Turbo likes this.
  6. Rev Happy Turbo

Rev Happy Turbo Novizio

Mumbai
    +1 whitepunto76 just noticed that.. the suggested tyre size for 15" is 195/60/R15.
  7. Dhileepan Karthi

Dhileepan Karthi Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I knew this before, but I under estimated the consequences. :banghead::banghead:
    Never expected 5mm to cause such huge difference in driving experience.:inpain:
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    It is not 5 mm . it 5% of 195 mm around 9.75mm to be precise..
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @karthi: First go back to A1 Centre and get the tyres changed.
    You should never buy the alloys with bends. It will hamper the driving experience. And repairing alloy bends impacts the strength.
    Put these set on sale for OLX and get them changed in A1/TyreEmpire.

Get Yoko earth1s or Kenda K23 or Falkens for 15" and get 15" steel linea rims from FASS.
    That setup will give you best of both worlds on budget for now.
    Pradeepms and Dhileepan Karthi like this.
  10. Sathish_UPS

Sathish_UPS Novizio

Bangalore
    @Dhileepan Karthi: I was using these alloys till this MAY with '195/65 R15 Bridgestone MY02' tyres and never experienced any pulling issue.
    Anyway let me know if it comes out to be alloy issue, I am really happy to pay back.
    zenwalker, Dhileepan Karthi and pdash like this.