1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Right hand side steering guide shaft bent - scratched - need Help.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sriramr9, Nov 17, 2012.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Today morning an unfortunate incident occurred where my 2012 GP right wheel got into a small ditch when driving very slowly without notice which is 5 feet deep with in ten minutes with help we were able to recover the vehicle from the pit. Now upon inspecting the bottom i see the right and side steering shaft that controls the wheel direction appears to be scratched and bent due to the weight of the vehicle,

i am attaching a picture of the same with teh round marking, as such there is no deviation or suffering in the steering operation, request your expert opinion in rectifying this issue at earliest.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sriram.R
    0-9444203316

h a345.jpg
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    thats known as 'lower arm' (part no: 51795840). its part of the suspension. not sure how much it costs. call up TASS and check to get an idea. better visit TASS soon and get the car checked for any other possible damage. this could cause an alignment problem. have you noticed car drifting to one side?
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Ty, shams, i did test the drive in a uneven road for a drift no much considerable drift, even if there is no drifting are you sure the alignment would have changed, last week i had a alignment check done outside.

My question is can i continue driving the car in this state ? sorry for being a noob in this area
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    not necessary but most probably alignment would have changed. i believe going in a ditch itself would have changed the alignment even if the lower arm was allright! i am not sure what harm (if any) it can do if driven in this condition but would suggest to take it to TASS soon.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    1. Agree, what kind of an after effect will one see from a damaged lower arm, in my case though bent and twisted, i cannot substantiate a wobble or drift to left or right, when the car was driven, drives as before without any hitches, from the picture does it show as a very damaged one?

2. i spoke to the TASS, they say the cost of right lower arm is 3000 and odd and a labor cost of 1000 rupees, i am not sure about, please confirm if this cost is as per the norms? also the pain is no spare is available now and once i leave the vehicle, using the chassis number order will be placed for the same.

3. Concorde motors branches themselves have a difference in cost, in ambattur the cost quoted was 2500 and in ECR it is 3000 plus.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Doesn't look like bent to me. Have the car lifted on lift and inspect it more closely and get alignment done
    Check this pic of lower arm I am attaching

IMG_20121117_190117.jpg
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Sure will do, i checked both left and right sides, the bend is there in both sides rods but in the right side its more pronounced as in my case (steering wheel side), which i presume could be the case of what happened today morning. shall post a close up tomorrow.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Get it replaced if it has taken a major hit. Its better to get it replaced so that further implications can be avoided.