1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Right front shocker cover rejected under extended warranty - Punto Dynamic Diesel

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Techno, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Techno

Techno Timido

Hello All,

I've Punto dynamic diesel 2012 model and clocked close to 47K Kms. in it. Recently, I was experiencing noise from right front side of shockers, mostly observed when shockers were retracting in pothole/bump.

After checking with DRS Fiat at Gurgaon, it was advised to change shocker mounts on both sides and during change it was found that my right shocker was not good, as it was not retracting under 2 secs. Service adviser advised to change the shocker as well. I have extended warranty cover for my car, which I mentioned and adviser said that shockers will be covered under extended warranty, but it will take 2-4 days for them to get approvals before changing it.

Since I was scheduled to travel, I discussed with adviser and warranty manager at DRS Fiat and it was finalized that, for now, I will pay for shocker replacement cost (Shocker cost + labour) which will be re-reimbursed by DRS later, after getting approvals. This was done in March, 2015.

Today I checked with DRS Fiat for reimbursement of shocker cost, for which they mentioned that claim has been rejected as shockers warranty is only covered for oil leakage and not for any other fault.

Need to understand if this is true for extended warranty, or the dealer is trying to not give the money back. I've asked them to send me mail on which Fiat has rejected the claim, but he refused sighting official reasons.

Please also let me know how can I follow-up in this with Fiat.

Note to admin: If this is not the right forum to this post, please feel free to move to correct category.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That is not acceptable. They should give you full details of communication between them and Fiat. Otherwise how do you know Fiat has really denied warranty? Service station should give you some proof right?
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Dear Techno,
    The dealer is right to an extent. The warranty is expected to cover a few more aspects apart from the leaks and Iam not completely sure if this would be applicable in your case. Kindly find the details of the scope of coverage in EW for suspension.

Suspension: - Shock absorbers (restricted to leakage) bush/mechanical failures, control arms, upper and lower wishbones, springs. Strut mounting bearings.
    Completely details can be found on thread below,

I agree, it is always good to request for a copy of this communication to clear any ambiguity and complete transparency.
    asimpleson and pabhishek like this.
  4. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Suspension parts have warranty up to 37500km only. That could be the reason.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Now where is this mentioned? How can spares have a different warranty from the one given for the car?

The post by @PradeepM says shock absorbers mechanical failures too, so ideally should be covered in extended warranty. Drop a mail or have a word with Fiat Service team and they should be able to help out. But stick to your guns of getting the shocks replaced in extended warranty.
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

I just checked the extended warranty booklet but couldn't find it. But i remember reading about that limit for suspension and clutch parts. It seems that the limit was there only initially.

Since there is no such limit in our booklet you should try hard for extended warranty.
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

In my EW booklet the suspension warranty is till 38000 Kms.No car company can give u perpetual warranty on the suspension parts, its wear and tear item.
  8. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    But, in case of @Techno , as DRS motors have agreed and communicated the same to customer with all price and warranty cover then how come later they are not providing the same to him. If that was the case like no warranty after xxxKMs, then, they should have told him in the staring itself. This is sheer negligence from DRS Motors side and they have to compensate. I hope @Techno has all the written communication from DRS motors to ask for refund or waive.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Can you attached the scanned portion of the EW where it says about the suspension warranty. I have checked my EW booklet thoroughly and could not find it mentioned anywhere.
    PradeepM likes this.
  10. Anup

Anup Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    As far I can tell, Suspension pars like Coil Spring, Shoks, suspensions pads are covered under Warrenty however it is not part of EW because these are ware and Tate parts.
    The EW covers key parts like Powertrain, Electricals and stuffs like Mountings, Exhaust system and so on.
    I have spoken extensively with Mr Mangesh on EW policy.
    My FASS is about 6 odd year old(Prerna/Vecto) motors still have clarity on what are the things covered under EW.
    I too had a problem where in the Right side Coil spring broke at the bottom due to rust formation and my car was very much in EW, but it wasn't covered as I got it clarified from Fiat directly.