1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Review - Wolfmoto Switchable Remaps: A remap that can change your life

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Navin

Navin Timido

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I got my Punto 90hp wolfed last time when they visited Pune. And I just cant express how satisfied I am with the maps.
    The so called sluggish punto transformed into a mean machine. I took my time to test the maps extensively before posting the review.
    So here it comes.
    Earlier I use to regret my decision of going for a fiat. Any Tom Dick and Harry use to overtake my machine as it took time to get going.
    But now every thing has changed altogether, now this sluggish punto is transformed into a mean machine. Now this sluggish punto can take on any machine of its class and couple of class above. The gear changes reduced considerably. Now it starts to respond on slight tap on the accelerator.
    Map 3:
    Engine note is super silent and smooth. The car responds very well to the throttle inputs. The revs build up quickly in till 1500 rpm and after that it just point and shoot game. The engine becomes rev happy.
    The turbo lag is well under control & pull is so addictive that I have started revving the engine hard just to experience the pull. It feels like driving a petrol car, a turbo petrol one.

Map 4:
    Engine note is a bit harsh compared to map 3. But low end torque is phenomenal. You can get going from 20 kmph from 3rd gear so there is no need to down shift to 2nd gear when taking on a speed breaker. The car just keeps pulling, pulling and pulling from 2nd gear onwards.

Recently did a highway run on this map and got chance to take on i20 and it was no big deal at all was able to overtake it effortlessly, my confidence moved north.

Then saw a VW in rear view mirror, at that point I was not sure if it was polo/poloGT/vento but was hoping that it should be a Polo GT/ vento so as to test my remapped baby against the beast. He was driving at 130+ as I was at 120 and he overtook me. Was happy to find out that it was Vento TDI 1.6. I was very exited that I will be able to test my machine against a performance car but also was a bit scared to get defeated. Taking on i20 was no big deal but vento is know for its terrific diesel engine and is a car couple of segments above. Nonetheless decided to give it a try. Started revving my car a bit and was catching up with it quite easily. And to my amazement keeping up with it was just effortless. Then vento guy also felt the heat and started to race against me. And to my amazement I was able keep up and defeat it quite easily. I was just so happy that I cannot express.

Then another fellow with verna 1.6 crdi came along and got defeated by my punto again.

The expression that they give when they see a hatchback (sluggish one) defeating them is priceless.

I have never thought in my distant dreams that Punto 90HP MJT can keep up with Vento/Verna just after remap.
    And as of now I have not observed any ill-effects of the remap. There is no extra smoke or drop in fuel efficiency.

Will keep you posted with my observations.
    linea4me, Pushpak, Iyu and 2 others like this.
  2. lakshmiarun

lakshmiarun Timido

Linea 1.3
    Good Navin. I am just back from my native to Chennai and driving at Map 3. I was driving fast to avoid night time driving as I started around noon and passed 401KM from Madurai - Chengalpattu in nearly 3:50 Mins. Its very stable even at 165 KM speed and breaking is excellent. On my way, I was racing with Vento 1.6 TDI, Verna, Sunny and even try along with Skoda Superb for a long time. I am kind of started liking my Fiat more than before after the remap and still don't understand why FIAT itself push it further if there is no harm. Ideally we will know about in few years. Bottom line, remap will change the your driving experience.
    linea4me likes this.
  3. linea7361

linea7361 Timido

Hi team.. to all the above members who have rempapped their cars ...have u all observed the smoke once the turbo kicks IN... how is the smoke level ....coz in my car compared to stock map ...the third and 4 th map smokes pretty high... plz drop in ur observations about ur cars smoke level..
  4. satishchour

satishchour Timido

Got my 75Hp Wolfed last Sunday(24th April 2016), that's the day my Punto was reborn :)

After an odo running of 75K and completing 5 years, I decided to try out a remap before upgrading, and boy was it a good decision.

It's like a completely different engine. No Turbo lag in any of the modes. I will keep my precious GP for another couple of years for sure :)

Thanks to Rajiv and quick response to my email and setting up a meeting @ his brothers (Hari) place.

New Mode-1: Rajiv asked me to try this one out, as it's not the regular ECO-Mode, ( which he as removed, as many did not use it).
    The vehicle is super smooth with each gear change, it is best for day to day traffic on ORR. There is no sudden surge of turbo, it feels linear, more like driving a petrol car. This is my fav mode in the City.

Mode-2: I found this one a little too jerky, too much turbo from 1200-3000RPM, there is no point in taking it beyond 3000RPM, although this mode is is good for B2B traffic, no to my taste.

Mode-3: Haven't tried this for too long, as I found Mode-4 more addictive than this one :)

Mode-4: The Beast-Mode: Love this mode, you can rev the engine all the way to 4500RPM and GP just keeps pulling.

Here's a 0-100 test I performed on the ORR with this mode using "Car Performance" (Android App).

Not sure if this app is completely accurate. But the best figures I had got using this before remap was 0-100 in 15 seconds, and in Mode-4, launching from 0@3000 RPM (2nd gear)with huge wheel spin even in 2nd gear, the best time I got was 10.5 seconds, which seems pretty unbelievable, but was fun, but no more, I might end up ruining the life of my Michelin's.

Stock Mode: Its history now :)

Wolfed 0-100 Mozzafiato.png

Here's an old pic of my Beauty...

5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats on the remap. Does this mean that the Stock mode isnt given as one of the modes? I thought it was one of the USPs of Wolf that when you give your car for servicing, you can always put it on stock mode.
    Deepak likes this.
  6. satishchour

satishchour Timido

Stock Mode is an option, its still there, what I meant was, I wouldn't be using it :)
    May be only during a pollution test or when leaving the vehicle for service.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  7. amitshedha

amitshedha Novizio

Maybe a lame question: But its not clear how we change modes. Can someone please help explain?
  8. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Put the key to MAR position and press the gas pedal. One press would change the mode by 1
    amitshedha likes this.
  9. satishchour

satishchour Timido

Check out the Wolfmoto website, they have a video describing how the Mode is changed -- http://wolfmoto.com/

Update after a long trip:
    Recently, made a trip to my home town for some personal work (Bangalore->Bijapur->Athnai->Bijapur->Dharwad->Bijapur->Bangalore), a total of 2000 kms in 4 days.

Constantly drove in Mode 4, and its amazing how easy over takes were on a 2 lane highway, say, you're doing 80 kmph 5th gear after slowing down behind a truck, just floor the accelerator (no need of gear change) after on coming traffic is cleared, and wham.. the GP reaches 120 kmph with ease.

On the 4 lane highways, it was very easy to maintain high-speeds, and I mean serious high-speeds above 150 kmph with ease. Achieved a top speed of 175 kmph, it was 165 prior to the remap.

There was not even a single car that was able to keep up with my beast :)

Another observation was, no matter which Mode you're in, if you floor the accelerator, it switches to Mode 4 (Power Mode) automatically.
    Ganges, Turbothinghy and PradeepM like this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congratulations for remap and good that you are enjoying your new(rebirth) punto.
    How are smoke levels ? any observations ?