1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Review - Wolfmoto Switchable Remaps: A remap that can change your life

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 16, 2013.

1. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Yeh the smoke is not continuous and the car is runnning fine. I dont observed it while sedately driving it in Map 3. Its there only when we go hard on acceleration. Not enough oxygen to burn the rich mixture.
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That's something you would get even on stock map IMO.
  3. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Since mine has run around 55K KM, Would get the intake manifold cleaned and then would see if that makes any difference. Ideally the mixture should always be burned completely as per theory so I was worried.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    hi all,
    after going through the entire thread i have below queries:
    1. any long term reviews available for the remapped cars? considering this thread started in 2013 ts nearly 2 years the first car remapped.
    2. what is the effect of remapping on Engine in LONG RUN? even wolf moto website says remapping will void the warranty of engine.
    Are we compromising on the durability of engine just for adrenaline rush?
    3. How they exactly delete the EGR? do they use any plate to blank it off? or just in the ECU?

Any pointers will be helpful.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Deepak

I know nothing about remapping, Wolfing or otherwise, from personal experience, though have read and met a couple of guys who've followed radical remaps with no reported side effects, or so they say.

Who can be sure of their judgment, though the probabilities do very much favour the mjd's re-map-ability, the tolerances of the componentry/plumbing etc seem far higher than for other diesels in the market, or so it seems.

It's just a (minute? small? big? too big? who can say?) risk one could/should be willing to take for (a) the feeling of distinction and exclusivity and customisation, and/or (b) just for the fun/heck of it.

IMHO, no amount of accurate and diligent research will aid the decision to remap, or to desist. Which firm to go to, yes surely, but not the decision itself. The decision must just be necessarily a subjective i.e., aesthetic one, a matter of taste and discernment, feeling free to 'take the good? chance' for the fun of it.

PS: Apologies, if they are due, for the purely car-philosophical interpolation into your Fiat mjd remap investigations/research.
    Deepak likes this.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1. Well if you have gone through the entire thread am sure you didnt come across any negative reviews other than the inital issues of smoke which have now been taken care of by Wolf in their latest maps

2. The effect for now is better drivability and experience. Long run effect really depends on the way a person would treat his car, ride and periodic maintainence. Rev your car like mad and you wouldn't need a remap to screw your car. Needless to say that post remap will have to increase the frequency of oil change frm 15K km to 7.5 - 10K km. Take care of oil, coolant, filters and all should be good. Also subjective is what you mean by LONG RUN ( a few thousand kms to over 1.5 lakh km / 3 years - 7to 8 years ownership ). All depends on how long do you want to keep the car and would you still be okay with a slightly shorter life of engine but with much better performance while it is with you. Not saying that remap will reduce life of engine, but just for the sake of it

Its not just the adrenaline rush. Drive a remapped car to feel it. Without it reading too much into it will not help at all.

Its not WOLF who say that the warranty will be void but Fiat will void warranty if they come to know that the car has been remapped. Well warranty will void with so many other things too. WOLF is just putting it as a disclaimer for people who possible might not be aware of it

But let me put your doubts to rest. I let the Fiat do a diagnosis test on my car while it was on MAP 3 last Sunday and nothing came up :)

3. EGR is deleted from the ECU. If will put a plate without ECU delete then will through up error on post April/May 2009 cars. Once deleted on ECU no need for the plate.
    prabhjot and Deepak like this.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,
    I want to go for WolfMoto remap for 2011 MJD. Need help on what is the overall cost and any issues with engine.
    How is the response around 1750 rpm till 4000 rpm. Is there any lag or will it gel with the gear box?
    Please advice.
  8. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    I have been using the remapped Punto since last 2 months now. I was initially on Map2 for my city runs and I liked the engine responsiveness down the rpm band. The car felt peppy and my gear changes reduced to some extent in the city. The FE was as good as what I used to get on stock car.

Since a month now I have shifted to Map3. This map not only has kick in lower RPm but you feel the rush in higher rpm as well. This Map nicely covers the RPM range for peppier drives. I have observed some amount of additional smoke when I push the car in Map3. Recently I did a hard acceleration run in the Ghat and smoke was noticeable. Its not too much but just extra enough to get attention. I was mostly changing gears in 3K RPM band and was doing over 2.5K rpm continuously. I loved the drive since my car never felt so fast in Ghats in 3rd and 4th gears. Now when I drive sedately in city there is NO extra smoke.

Overall, I started loving my car all over again post remap. Earlier it was a task to keep the car in turbo range all the time, now it feels much more peppier. I would be visiting Mbai soon and would check out the Map4 for the first time. People have mentioned that its a pure highway mode and car becomes real fast. Would update this thread post my drive.
    dadasaheb and kunwar.g like this.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Met Rajiv during their mega pan India drive and he installed the updated new map in place of earlier Map 1, which I was hardly using. Man, this new map is a killer one. Recently did @1000kms + highway drive and the power delivery is just amazing right from lower rpms. Loved the pull in 2nd & 3rd gear; the car feels so much lighter & peppier. Drove the new map back to back with Map 4. Though Map 4 is good, felt the new one is better at lower rpms. Yes, did observe some smoke while accelerating hard. During city drive, at times find it difficult to control the torque surge (will get a feeling of rear ending the vehicle in front). For time being staying away from this map during city drive:p

Btw, was driving with the Elite i20 on NH 4. Leaving aside the handling / suspension part, this is a quick hatch! He could comfortable match Punto's speed range of 150-160 kmph and felt i20 still had bit of steam left to go further. Controlled the adrenaline rush and reverted to the usual 'safer' cruising speed of @100-120 kmph. New Polo 1.5 & now Elite i20 are real quick hatches on highways like NH 4 where one would get plenty of straight stretches. The old school of thought - there is no replacement to displacement! Let us not get into debate;)
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At times it gets so confusing to understand which Map is tuned for what. Will have to ask Rajeev to keep it simple and start naming the maps either
    City/Highway/Allrounder/Race
    or
    Lowend/Mid/High/Mad-noend
    or
    Economy/Cruise/Smooth/Smoke'em