1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Review - Wolfmoto Switchable Remaps: A remap that can change your life

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Great to see you are finally happy with Linea's drive :).
    Switch is lifeline for you then, else you will always be in Map 4 ;).
    N Kiran likes this.
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @N Kiran, great to see a happy bunny (no offence). I am thrilled by your review.

Last time I missed them when they were in Chennai. Next time I want to remap my 90HP punto to a real sports hatch :D
    N Kiran likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is so true, I asked Rajiv to set 4,500 rpm as the 'switch value'; yet unknowingly switched from Map 3 to Map 4 twice in 24 hrs :p

In my car, Rajiv has mapped the 3rd & 4th map in slightly different way. He was saying that he has made certain changes to these 2 maps which has bought the 'aggressive' quotient slightly down compared to what most of the TFIans have at present. Not sure about other changes like - is it more mileage oriented? is it more drivable? etc. I believe its still in experimentation phase. After testing it for 2 days, somehow not very convinced with the revised / new Map 3 & 4. The punch is really missing. Hence, hoping to meet Rajiv again today and shall ask him to revert to 'TFi setting' ;)
    N Kiran likes this.
  4. vivekanandrb

vivekanandrb Timido

Bangalore
    Thanks. Yes indeed - had only checked when starting the car, so had not noticed the overlap - there are 5 maps.

FE seems to be similar - though I've not really monitored it closely. I've been getting between 15.8 & 16.2 on the same stretch where it used to hover around 16.5 earlier (combination of city & ring road traffic). However, within a few days of the remap, I also upgraded to higher profile tyres - 195/65 - so the odo error too would have crept in.
    I'm still enjoying the pleasure of Map 3,and haven't tried Map 4 much in city yet - seemed a bit laggy at low speeds.
    All in all - mileage has not been impacted significantly on the negative side; but the pleasure of the drive on the remap overwhelms any FE concerns by a significant margin. It's still cheaper to run than a petrol & way cheaper than buying a new car! :)
    pratul81, N Kiran and Ravi like this.
  5. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    Anything happening on the T-Jet front? Not that I will go for it now - it has only done 11.5k km and is very well under warranty, but am curious to know whether there has been any progress on that front, and if yes, what is the power/torque gain we could expect?
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So, finally took the ‘Wolfed Red hotty’ to the NICE road to unleash the remapped beast within. Here are the observations post remap:

Map under review: Map 4

Racing DNA within me was eagerly waiting to test this map. Was hesitant to test this map on city roads and hence NICE road as the testing venue. For a 75 HP mill, I felt notable difference would be the way car responds post 120 kmph. Prior to this though had pushed the 75hp mill to 160kmph, there was a difference how the same was achieved after remap. It’s a known fact that 75 HP loses bit of steam post 130/140 kmph; but when in Map 4, it pulls all the way till 150/160 kmph without much fuss. Please note that top speed post remap wasn’t tested, motive was to observe the car’s behavior from 120 kmph to 150/160 kmph in short bursts. I must say that it did bring a smile on my face:) The power surge to the wheels really tested Punto’s steering and brakes. For the first time in 32k kms, got a doubt whether Punto’s steering and brakes will be able to handle the surge! Have always felt Punto is one hatch which masks speed pretty well. So, initially it was really difficult to make out am I going really fast. The answer came when I observed other vehicles in the rear view mirror. That’s when I realized how quickly Punto was pulling away. Another notable difference: engine is much more relaxed post 120/130 kmph resulting in much better NVH.

As of now trying Map 2 & Map 3 for city drives. Pretty much happy with Map 2 for city drives. Not sure whether I would be interested in trying out Map 1:p As of now, my usage plan goes like this:

>Map 2: for city driving
    >Map 3: occasionally for city driving and for long drives which involves ghats / winding roads / 2 lane roads which requires quick overtaking moves rather than top speeds.
    >Map 4: Express way drives to unleash the racing DNA within.

Common observation noted in all the maps is engine revs better across all RPMs and it surely feels much eager now. However, since 75hp always had a better low end performance compared to 90hp; one might not feel dramatic improvement in lower RPMs. Performance at higher RPMs would surely bring in smile for 75hp owners. It’s much easier for 90hp owners to gauge the performance difference in lower RPMs.

Few pics from the ‘test drive’

Distance covered during test drive

1 - Copy.jpg

Avg Speed:

2 - Copy.jpg

Mileage:

3 - Copy.jpg

The machine :woot:

4 - Copy.jpg

Thanks Wolf moto team, Mathew for letting TFI know and all the folks here who shared their reviews / experiences regarding remap.
    Tornado, prabhjot, avnsiva and 4 others like this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @N Kiran

So what exactly happens in Map 2? Is this the Economy map? Couldnt understand the difference when you said Map 2 and 3 are similar. I am trying to guage whether Map 2 is actually a requirement.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    When I was speaking to Rajiv about the maps, he mentioned that he had not named any map, such as Economy, city or highway. But it is us users who have perceived them so. There is no such thing as economy map. The power is linear throughout and the lag is minimal. May be this would help us to not revv too much and find a need to shift constantly, which in turn would give us a better mileage than the stock.

I repeat myself

Map 1: Better than stock, with lesser lag and linear power delivery
    Map 2: Low end is good, mid range and top are more or less similar to Stock, which makes driving in the city fun
    Map 3: Low and mid range are good and have better drivability and the top end is marginally better than the stock
    Map 4: Mid and top range are good and low end is marginally better than the stock.

Today I have driven in Map 4 (switched from map 3 after revving) and realized that I was wrong about the low end performance. I take back my words and I suggest members to try map 4 in city. The free revving (better than all maps) is so much of a relief and the acceleration is mind boggling. I now completely agree that a Wolfed MJD will match T-jet's performance if not better. One has to drive to believe it.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In simple words, Map 2 is when one wants to enjoy a relaxed drive. Not keen on ripping the car at higher rpms. Map 3 when one is in mood to zip through traffic / highways. Map 4 is one step beyond Map 4. So, according to one need maps can be selected irrespective of city / highway.

This was one major point of discussion when I was test driving my car post remap with Rajiv. He was very assertive in his statement that Map 4 does provide improved performance across all rpms and not restricted to top end performance alone. He asked me to test in then & there. But, unfortunately due to heavy traffic and evening peak hour time we decided against it.

And I always felt 90 hp / Linea owner would be able to appreciate the low end performance of Maps more than a 75hp owner.
  10. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So can we call the Wolf to be the Abarth for common peoples FIAT car?