1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Reversing lamp dislodged and reflector broken

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by pdydeva, Apr 30, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Did this bad reversing maneuver today morning in a narrow space and damaged the reversing lamp.
    I was unable to see the Pulsar bike parked immediately behind my car (within few inches) as it was lying low on side stand below the viewable area from rear wind shield. I rolled back only 3-4 inches and then I hear the plastic breaking sound. Foot rest of the vehicle pierced the reflector and dislodged the assembly. While I can't blame the bike owner completely, he must have had the common sense of leaving some gap behind a parked vehicle and I must have had the reversing sense of walking behind once to check for any obstructions. Whatever, damage done is done.

20130430_135712.jpg 20130430_135625.jpg

As shown in the red circle, the clip which will hold the lamp assembly has broken off the bumper (small notch is part of this huge bumper). The lamp is held in position by a screw on the other side (reflector side) of the assembly. Reversing light is working fine, but the reflector alone got cracked.

What options do I have now? Obviously, changing the bumper for this small notch is too costly. Will a Fevi kwik or any industrial adhesive be effective enough for this job? Will be getting the opinion of FASS people too.

Kindly share your ideas.

Thanks,
    Deva
  2. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Deva you will not get the small part alone. You need to replace the bumper to get it fixed.

Best solution is use an adesive something stronger than fevikwik. Remove the bumper and add the addesive throughly so that it is fixed properly. And keep some support or tie it to a string or something so that it is not broken. This the cheap and best solution.

Replacement of bumper and painting it will cost excess of 5k.
  3. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Pune
    Yup, Fevi-quick should do the trick, same exact issue happened with my Punto (but little less serious, my Punto's lamp was not dislodged this much, it was just lose) and Fevi Quick did the trick. It's been 2 years now without any issues :). But I guess you'll have to go to the SA or a garage nearby, working on this part is really hard, there is no space that you can crawl under and get a sense of where you want to apply Fevi-quick. You'll need a ramp or lift.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Don't forget to clean the contact patches thoroughly if going for the glue approach. I wonder if a zip tie would do the job...
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Visited FASS in the evening to get some idea. SA mentioned it can be fixed back using some super glue. Will be getting it done on Thursday. Will keep you posted on the charges and time taken.
  6. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    Will it be possible to replace the bulb in future, if it's fixed using super glue ?.
  7. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Yes the bulb can be replaced. We need to give force and remove the unit. It comes out.
    1 person likes this.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I faced this issue with the reversing lamp a couple of years back when a two wheeler was slow in hitting the brakes. The service center fixed it with glue and it is still doing fine. Now the right side rear fog lamp has broken off when two boys in a scooter hit me at a signal. Now that needs to be fixed.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Problem solved

Fix is definitely a crude work to avoid replacing the bumper itself. Yet, the fix is neat and not obvious at all. Little amount of glue has been used to put the broken clip back in place to hold the lamp assembly. Courtesy: Vecto Motors. Zero damage to pocket. Thanks to FIAT.

Some foam has been placed to avoid the load on the patched clip
    20130502_153939.jpg 20130502_154118.jpg

After fix, with the broken reflector alone. Still, the reflector serves it's purpose during nights
    20130502_131933.jpg
    3 people like this.