1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Resolved : Punto 1.3MJD 75BHP - Engine stalled

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Gopi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Yes. Battery is fine. It is just a month old as well. I am also glad the issue did not crop up during my long drive.

Thanks for the tip. Am taking note of this as a checklist item to be checked with the service center tomorrow

Thanks Ravi. I want to be patient until tomorrow evening. If it is not fixed by then, I will drop an email to concorde copying Mangesh.

Bad fuel or clog in fuel is one of my main suspects. I did fill in two unknown pumps during the 1500km drive last week. However, i would expect some kind of knocking or loss of power during the drive if the fuel was adulterated. There was absolutely none during the long drive and it was only on Friday that the car engine died down suddenly. I did manage to crank up the engine twice and all indicators in MID turned off. But the engine did not sustain and turned off within 2 or 3 seconds.

My car is Oct-2009 model and is 3 years and 3 months old. I had completed my fourth paid service at 33000kms in Oct-2012. I checked the service bills of both 2011 and 2012. The fuel pump was never changed from date of purchase. Only the fuel filter was changed on both occasions. By the way, is fuel pump supposed to be changed in regular intervals?

Thanks for the tip on OBD scanner. I will ask TASS to check tomorrow.

The fuel tank is 3/4 full. I will ask them to check the injectors for clogging as well if not done already.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

No, it is never supposed to be changed. Ideally, it should last the lifetime of the vehicle.
  3. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Today's update from Concorde motors. They claim that all the above listed issues have been checked already. They have taken the ECU unit from a demo car and are replacing it in my Punto to see if ECU is the root cause. Waiting for updates. Am praying that they get to identify the root cause atleast today.
  4. Tron

Tron Superiore

opps...Really sorry Gopi! I confused you. Yeh i ment to say fuel ''FILTER'' instead of which i wrote 'fuel PUMP'. My bad brother.
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

I had similar issue after the very first month of my car's purchase. The culprit in my case was a Fuse in the ECU. Costed around Rs.16 or so and the problem never repeated since 2 years.
  6. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

No problem Tron. Gurjinder had clarified that for me yesterday. Initially I was confused as I also knew that the fuel pump should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Kiran, Thanks for the tip. I do have a eerie feeling that the issue could be something as simple as that and TASS is just not competent enough to isolate one problem at a time. I have been at work and following up only over phone. I guess I might have to take leave from office and sit on their heads at the workshop to get some quality work done.
  7. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

I have confirmation from Concorde motors today that the ECU unit has failed and they need to get replacement from FIAT. They indicated they have received the ECU unit in 3~4 days in some cases and there are cases where it has taken more than 3 weeks. I am writing to Mangesh seeking his help for faster delivery. Is there anybody else whom I could ask to in Fiat with regard to spares?
  8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Keep in loop with FIAT and mangesh they send faulty parts. . . . .. .
    they sent faulty parts in my case and not just one or 2 times they sent faulty ac compressor 4 times 5th time i got right working compressor :(
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Gopi, you just confirm Concorde request Fiat asap, and send email to mangesh and service email ids.

Good that they find the actual cause of issue.
  10. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Aniket, How long did FIAT take to send the spare in your case?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks Ravi. I have already done that. Sent an email to Mangesh and Fiat service ids about the case and given the complete car details. I also have 26 months extended warranty for my car covering a total of 50 months from the date of purchase. I have scanned and sent all the details to FIAT.

Does anybody in the forum have experience of replacing the ECU in their car? I was told that FIAT needs to program my Keycode into the ECU before sending it out and have given the details of my Keycode to service center.