1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Resolved : Punto 1.3MJD 75BHP - Engine stalled

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Gopi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Dear All, An update over the last week after battery change. So far so good. The stalling issue did not return after I changed the battery. Went on a drive to Lepakshi yesterday. Had to stop at multiple signals in Airport road and no issue. Will keep the thread updated in another two weeks to update on progress
    1 person likes this.
  2. Great to hear that...hope your car remains problem free...enjoy..and happy diwali!!
  3. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Dear All, Here is an update on my Punto post change battery. I have made two long drives one to Melmaruvathur, and another to Tuticorin which amounted to a total of 3000kms. Absolutely no issues and the car handled very well without any issues. Was so happy to see the car behave very well. I returned from my long drive day before yesterday. After a night's rest I took my car out to a nearby shop yesterday morning. While driving in the third gear at about 30kms / hr, the engine stalled suddenly. I used the momentum of the car to park it by the side of the road. i was 3kms from home. Repeated attempts to start the car failed. I called FIAT roadside assitance. They sent me a tow truck within 45 minutes to the location. The car was towed to Concorde motors Mysore road which is the nearest location from my location in RRNagar.

The car has been with them since yesterday and it has not been good news so far. They said they checked the ECU which did not throw any errors. The fuses, starter motor assembly and fuel pump were checked and they claim there is no issue. However, the car cannot be started yet. Tomorrow is a holiday and they said the mechanics will start looking at the issue again on Monday morning. I am getting the feeling that this might end up as a case of another insufficient expertise with the technicians and they might hold the car for few days without doing anything.

Any pointers anybody on what I can drive them to check?
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Unfortunate incident. Glad to know that you could get help immediately to transfer the car to SC.
    Did they say that Battery is also fine?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Gopi,

Diesel engine not starting - either electronics or the fuel delivery system.

Did they check the Common Rail pump ( if they can) or the fuel pump from tank to fuel filter.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gopi, make sure the guys diagnose it to your satisfaction and fix it. You may escalate to Fiat directly as well, to keep them in loop.

@Gurjinder, could this be because of bad fuel?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes for sure. The injectors and the Common Rail pump are precision instruments and they need clean diesel. Another reason why I never trust the aftermarket diesel filter for the Multijet.

The Palio D's filter is pretty similar. People who replaced them with cheap alternatives (Sakura) had nothing but issues later on. They are cheap for a reason.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Have you filled diesel from any unknown pump? You had mentioned that problem occurred while returning from a long trip.
    So what Gurjinder predicted make sense in that case.
    If it is due to bad fuel will it be detected in scan?
  9. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Gopi, how much old your car is??? Did TASS changed your fuel pump on last major service(if done). Get your car checked at TASS also ask them to check log through OBD scanner. ECU log might do the diagnosis about what went wrong.

As guru said above fuel injector might be the cause of it. If you were running low on fuel, still their are chances of car might stall as few foreign elements might have got into fuel line.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Isn't that what I am also saying?

Anyway, thanks.

Rajan