1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Resolved : Punto 1.3MJD 75BHP - Engine stalled

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Gopi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Dear All

I own a Punto MJD 75BHP since Oct 2009 and have completed 33000 very happy kms with the vehicle. 10 days ago I had completed by 1st Paid service at Concorde Motors Mysore road and have been driving ok after the service. I have always been filling Diesel from a BP bunk near my home and this time was no different. I topped up my tank last Thursday.

Last Saturday, when I was driving with family in Bangalore, I had stopped at a long signal and the engine was idling. I had engaged the handbrake, took my legs off clutch. The auto AC was on and the music system was also on. All of a sudden the engine just died down. There was no warning in the instrument panel. I tried to crank the engine again and it would not start. Tried about 10 times and the engine did not start. I had to bear the brunt from all the vehicles behind as I was right in front. I got down after switching on the hazard lights and asked the vehicles behind to go around me in the signal. Then I got inside again and tried to crank again and this time the engine started. I moved about 4 kms and then there was another long signal. This time I kept to the left to be safe and was waiting for the signal. Suddenly the same happened and the engine stalled abruptly. There was no warning in the instrument panel. The temperature range was also ok. I tried cranking the engine again and this time it started in the first attempt.

I have been driving the car since then and the issue has not repeated again. I am not sure if this can be a precursor to a more serious issue or just a minor issue which corrected itself. I am planning a long drive over the Diwali weekend and I am kind of not at ease with the events that unfolded last week. From past posts I see that the issue could be with the fuel pump and ECU scan would not show up anything. Does anybody in the forum had similar issues? If yes how was it corrected?

Thanks for your help in advance
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  2. I am no expert,but did you check the battery?how old is it?

My car,just 2 months old have problem with battery since the first week of purchase,acid spilled and a coating of acid on the negative terminal was present..Had to call RSA once when we were planning to move out(the plan had to be cancelled).Once again this incident repeated itself when I took the car for wheel alignment,the car wouldnt start at all,no warnings nothing,cleaned the battery terminals,tightened them up and it started as if nothing has happened..

Dont get disheartened buddy,get your car to the TASS,hope everything gets sorted soon..Btw,keep us posted..
    1 person likes this.
  3. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    May be in the service the engine IDLE rpm is tuned wrongly to less compared to standard, can you post whats the RPM when its idle..
  4. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Hi Arnab, Thanks. I did check the battery with a multimeter and the voltage was showing 12.93V which is normal and the condition of battery is good. Also, if battery is the issue, we usually have problem in cranking the engine which I did not have any issue.

By the way, this is just a minor issue and I am not disheartened after all thse 3+ trouble free years that the Punto has served me. I will take it to TASS over the weekend. I was just checking to see if anybody else has similar experience and how it was corrected so that I can ask the TASS to look exactly where and not just rely on ECU scan. Thanks once again for pitching in to help

- - - Merged Post - - -

Good point Vijay. I will check on that. Given that the vehicle returned from service just 2 weeks ago, this can be a valid point. Thank you.
  5. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Arnab, I guess you could be right with the battery. It has completed 37 months of operation and it could be in the last stages of its life which is showing up. I may still have to cross check this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I do not think the battery is a problem in this scenario. When the engine is running, it is the alternator that is responsible for supplying electricity and the battery is actually a load. The battery becomes responsible for supplying electricity either when the engine is turned off, or when the alternator is not able to generate enough current.

The first time this happened, you have mentioned that you were not able to crank the engine even after multiple attempts. I suspect either bad fuel / fuel pump, or a bad alternator.

1 person likes this.
  7. weathered

weathered Timido

To start with, get the IACV & Throttle Body cleaning done. Make TB is taken out, soaked in the solvent for a few hrs and the butterfly valve inside it is cleaned. Spray cleaners may not be as effective.
    If the problem persists, then fuel injectors need to be cleaned. Both these jobs can be done at the service center.
    Fuel pumps generally have a long life, so chances of failure is low.
  8. maverick

maverick Amatore

I second PatchyBoy, mostly the culprit should be the fuel pump.
  9. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    HI Gopi,

I have the same problem, with my Palio Mjd , And for me the battery is the culprit. its in its dying stages.
    The car cranks fine in the morning. and even when hot. But if I switch the AC On. the Tornado Fan kicks in and extracts all the juice from the battery . And at this time if I managed to stall the engine ( quick release of clutch, happens only at stop signals and TOLL booths ) . Then The car would not start. need to rest the car for 10 minutes. and then it starts up.
    Get your battery tested.

10. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Patchyboy, Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, the car stalled twice and both are at idling condition. The first time I had both music system and a/c on. Hence I think there was too much load for the battery to handle. During the second instance I had switch off the A/c due to which the engine cranked on the first attempt. Also I checked the battery voltage using multimeter. It read 12.93V with the engine off. When cranking the voltage dropped to 7.3V which is an indicator that the battery is in its final lap. I have changed the battery now to Amaron flo 55AH today. There was a immediate difference in the quickness of cranking the engine. If the problem repeats, I know I will have to look at fuel pump or alternator. Will keep the thread updated

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks weathered. I will note this to do if the problem repeats.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks maverick. Will check fuel pump if the problem repeats

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sujit, Thank you. I had exactly the same problem as you have described. There is absolutely no issue when the car is running or even when cranking the engine in the morning. I typically use the car only on weekends and occasionally for short drives within my locality on weekdays. But I never had a problem in morning cranking before. The stalling happened twice only when the engine was idling and I was waiting at a signal. Have changed the battery now. Hopefully the issue is resolved for good. Will keep you guys posted in the next couple of weeks