1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Resolved - Brake issue in my 2012 Punto

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by dhans4all, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    Ravi I will try to do tonight and update the thread.

Mods Please change the Title if you feel it needs to be changed
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  2. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    small update: i have taken the car for small drive of 15 km and before the drive I did the below

"Run the engine for a few moments, then turn the key off. Once the engine dies, press the brake pedal a few times. You should hear a hissing noise each time you press the pedal. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine."

i got the hissing sound then when i start by pressing the brake pedal the pedal gone down, but with a little struggle and produced "creek creek" sound like sound come when something is struck in between, like piston is moving slowly when its fully pressed and moving down when air is leaked.

during the drive i had to break continuously three times due to traffic condition and in the third time brake became hard. Checked continuous braking again and every third or fourth pump ( depends on the intensity of previous pump) the brake pedal becomes hard.

not sure this is due to air gap in the brake line or fault piston\cylinders.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check for possible air gap in the brake line. As well check any dust formed in the brake piston.
  4. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    I will check the possible air gap in brake line and also jammed brake pistons. hope this solves the issue.

if above doesnt solves then there must be an issue with slave cylinder or brake booster as vacuum is generated properly. I shall update the progress tomorrow.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If there is a problem with the brake booster the pedal doesnt firm up / harden with pumping. It will go back inside. Dont drive around with this issue. Go to your mechanic asap. It may just be a minor issue, but it is to do with the stopping power of the car and it is ideal if no experiments / risk is taken.

It could be a one off issue , If there is one problem that I havent come accross, it is the brakes !!

Abdul
  6. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    thanks abdul, i am visiting ignite garage tomo morning to get raghav's opinion about this issue. if nothing conclude I am planning to drop my car at TAFE reach. I wont take a risk when it comes to brakes of the car.

hope its a minor issue and if any parts are to be changed i wish my luck that it should be available :)
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is better to be with TASS than visiting the ignite. I am not hearing good about ignite when it comes to Fiat cars. Also, it is not a good idea to visit outside garage when your car is still in warranty.
  8. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    I am planning to take ECR route and just felt like getting his opinion. anyway TAFE guys told me to leave the car and get it back after two days as they were already in full capacity and I am planning to do that.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Okay. But, do you think that any mechanic will say "I dont know"? His opinion/advice may worry you more than getting some peace. He is no expert with Fiat cars. There are stories of him ruining the Fiats in the name of service.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Guys the brake booster doesnt generate vaccum. It works on vacuum.

@dhans4all, our cars are fitted with vaccuum pump. This vaccum pump is connected to the black round brake booster via a hose pipe. (On a linea there is one more connection from this pump to the Vaccuum tank, This vaccum tank supplies to the turbo electrovalve and then to the VGT turbo.)
    If there is any leak in this hose pipe the brakes wont function properly on low rpms as you say while parking or reversing.

Ask them to first check the vaccuum circuit.
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.