1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Resolved - Brake issue in my 2012 Punto

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by dhans4all, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    Hi

two days back I just started my punto MJD and try to reverse it and found that brake pedal is hard and brakes are not working.
    after pumping few times the brakes started working.

I found that brakes are not working/pedal becomes hard during tight parking/reversing. Also after repeated 3-4 pumps the pedal becomes hard.

Fluids are in max level and there is no leakage in fluids or no change in fluid level.

my car had done 7000 kms and its 2012 1.3 emotion. Anyone has this issue? i am planning to visit TASS tomorrow, lets see their version.

I feel this might due to

1. Air gap in brake line
    2. brake piston got struck in any one of the tyre
    3. booster problem
    4. any other??

I am not little worried.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Please get it looked at ASAP. Have you checked the brake fluid level? I think bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake fluid will resolve the issue. Modern brakes are not meant to be pumped.

Rajan
  3. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    brake fluids are in max level and i dont find any change in the fluid levels. I am planning to bleed tomorrow and get it checked with TASS.
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    brakes becoming hard after 3-4 pumps is expected and work as design I guess...

It happens in all cars...

But becoming hard while reversing is unknown...better people to comment here
  5. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    car has covered 7000 kms and untill 6700 kms I never had this issue and I used to take my car in reverse daily. brakes were working fine till two days back.

I can remember that my car was parked overnight slightly on a slope i.e right side was on a higher side & hand brake engaged. not sure this might caused any.

one more point to be checked is jammed brake piston in any one of the wheel.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Brake issue in 2012 Punto

This means that the brake booster is not producing enough vacuum.

You may experience the same in stop go traffic also.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Are you doing this when engine is off??

In engine off situation the break peddle will became hard.

If this is occurring when engine is on then you must go to service center asap.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Brake issue in 2012 Punto

He has clearly mentioned that this is while parking/reversing.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    I have tried to repeat this braking excercise at 2000 RPM and brake becomes hard in 3-4 continuous pumps and I feel braking is not efficient and simillar to Palio braking (this might be my feel).

I am taking my car to independent garage (Ignite, chennai ) tomorrow morning for brake bleeding/ second opinion. I will check the condition and if the issue persists then i'll go directly to TASS.

the comment from the SA at Tafe is this is normal, but comment from true sai salem is "we need to check the brake lines & other components"
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First, the thread title is bit confusing, and I thought some general issue with 2012 Puntos.

Dhans, try one day to park without handbrake and see if you still feel the same.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.