1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request Help(MJD or T-jet)

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by srinivas21, Sep 20, 2015.

1. srinivas21

srinivas21 Timido

hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Dear Friends

I am a newbie to all of you,but

I am a keen follower of your threads,as a prospective buyer of Linea.(MJD)
    Had done couple of TD's ..(just couple of days back).and observed the following.

1)The initial turbo lag in MJD ,is greatly minimized.(as It was a brand new Test Mule might got the ECU update done).
    2)The T-jet drive had more composure and was really felt like a "tank"...MJD is similar but not "same" felt a bit light/wobbly)
    3)The initial acceleration and drive at speeds around 60/70/80 is "same"...but T-jet seemed more eager.
    4)The backseat comfort was "V.Good" in T-jet and 'GOOD" in MJD.(again will it because of MJD is still new..the suspension had to settle down????)
    5)My driving would be 40% city,60% Highway.

Now he age old Question,
    Even if I can stretch my budget now, but keeping in mind the future maintenance cost(fuel/spares)

1) If i choose MJD ,what i will be missing over T-jet.?(Heart over Head Question again)
    2)Is the ride quality on MJD will be same as T-jet over a period of time(Note i drove test mules(Tjet 4000km/MJD 100KM).
    3) As I could not test higher speeds,request any feed back on how different T-jet & MJD would be post 100Kmph mark.
    3)Definitely Resale value is of concern for me ,

Thanks in advance,
    Eager Waiting for all your replies..as I need to take buying decision.

Srinivas21
  2. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @srinivas21
    Let me address question 3 first. Resale value is also dependant on your location. Since yours will be second hand to the next buyer the price could also depend how long you want to keep the vehicle. You should olx or carwale or quickr all current listings and check the max and minimum prices expected. That will give you a guesstimated price you could expect.

Having said that you should use it as long as service or upkeep is not too taxing or expensive time and money wise.

For question 1, should you choose MJD you will ofcourse miss the eagerness as you rightly mentioned that comes with this gem of an engine T-jet. Apart from that you will miss the fuel efficiency of a diesel should you not choose the same. If you are a very sedate driver, then T-jet is not bad for some nice FE, but in traffic there is hardly you can do anything to get FE, where diesel esp. will again be more pocket friendly price and FE wise.

For question 2, the ride quality will depend on road conditions and your driving style too. esp. for rear passenger. For a driver and co-passenger the difference is not big and suspension life on both should be similar too. For handling and dynamics both perform pretty well or same, except long drive driving comfort will be more on Tjet for obvious reasons.

In future remaps are also possible on MJD from third party businesses and that will help a lot should you find driving in traffic a deal breaker. So give it a careful thought since once on highway the MJD is also a fun car, esp. if you have very resonable demands that this small wonder of an engine offers. The newer models have improved the gearing or mapping out of factory so shifting is more relaxed for light traffic conditions even on the MJD.

The biggest question for you is what is your daily drive run and does fuel efficiency matter to you esp. in light to heavy traffic conditions.
    bharath and srinivas21 like this.
  4. srinivas21

srinivas21 Timido

hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions/ advise,

The current pricing of T-jet/MJD being almost same (as discounts are on offer for MJD)...making a decision is becoming more confusing...though for good reasons:happy:

Hmm..Deregulation of Petrol/diesel ..making thought process more complex...

Regards,
    Srinivas21
  5. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    TJet gives decent mileage on highways too, just to confuse you a bit more. ;)
    However, when driving is 60% on highway, one can go for MJD. However, what your monthly running would be should be taken into consideration for percentage run on highway? If it's around 1500 kms, TJet should be the one to go for the eagerness quotient, else go for MJD.
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    I will suggest you to go for MJD if the final On road prices are similar, and i bet your estimated monthly running will be much more increased once you get a FIAT.
    limraj and PradeepM like this.
  7. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    That's precisely what I said :). With a FIAT standing in your basement its hard to ignore and not plan long drives. This is the very reason we see FIAT's clocking more miles and we have numerous examples on this very forum as testimony.

Cheers.
    Pradeep.
    Deepak likes this.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Once you have FIAT, you will find all excuses to drive it...
    So, if FE is not a matter of concern, I would suggest t-jet, for more of the excitement quotient.
  9. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Keep in mind the higher maintenance of a diesel. The fuel filter costs more, the timing chain replacement @60K will cost 11k. Refinement levels are lower in the diesel. The various stories of the timing chain snapping doesn't make me comfortable either. I've been using a Punto MJD for 6 years, but most likely my next car will be a petrol.

I'd say buy a used T-jet, you'll save 5-6 lacs over the current price.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Maintenance cost spares wise is also high for T-jet. Chain snapping is only if one does not adhere to service intervals, apart from that Fiat takes care. Yes, if a low run used T-jet is found or bought, the whole argument can tilt in favour of T-jet.
    mangeshtendulkar and prabhjot like this.