1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Can anyone confirm the brand of brake pads that FIAT uses? Also are the ones put in at the service centre the same brand as factory?

Gurjinder.
  2. Even though the service advisor told us that it would last for few thousand kms more, we changed it during the 30k service so that we don't need to visit the service centre before the next service. :D

Gurjinder, I found the replaced brake pads lying in the corner of our car porch. I'm not sure whether it will be useful or not. :confused:

PS: The smaller one is for use in Maruti Wagon-R. :p

IMG084.jpg IMG078.jpg IMG081.jpg IMG079.jpg
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    My car too have same pads (GALFER) as showed by Klub Class

Interestingly I found another pictures of pads in ownership log of epicenter which are not from GALFER.

IMAG0072.jpg
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the smaller ones from maruti are slotted ones for heat and water dissipation. the ones on linea doesnt have a slot. also if maruti puts in bigger pads and rotors like linea they will have better braking with better life.
    its amazing that those small brake pads have good braking capability and also good life.

GALFER is one good brand which mostly manufactures brake pads for bikes, cycles and ATVs. couldnt get information about their brake pads for cars.

most imported components are designed as per specs and conditions pertaining to their countries. they might not expect constant brakings like in india :)

same happened with the AC fiat fitted on punto and linea and indians started sweating.

Same had happened with Volvo when their imported parts used in cooling cycle on the engines of commercial vehicles failed in indian summers.
    they later changed it to indian specs.
  5. You got it wrong there. :p

If you carefully observe the image shared by epicenter, you can easily make out that the brake pad is Galfer make. Further, I guess that the brand name is not visible to the 'clamp' like thing. :D

Sharing one more image of the brake pad with clamp.

IMG086.jpg
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Thanks a ton guys.

Googled Galfer and three things came to the picture

1. They are mostly into providing OEM stuff to auto manufacturers.
    2. Galfer USA deals with peformance brake products of motorcycles/atv's and bicycles.
    3. The exact same Galfer brake pad ( GA3294) is used in lot of cars. Certain Alfa Romeos also ( 145 & 146), besides the FIAT Strada , Marea ,Lancia Delta etc . I wonder if the Grande Punto uses the same pads.

So , to raise a question mark over their overall design etc would be unfair in my opinion. Had there been any such design flaw , it would not have been used so extensively.

And OEM brake pads are never the best in business. They have to fulfill a lot of conditions.

On TFI we have seen that these pads have lasted 30,000 + kms in some cases and ~10,000kms in others. Had there been a general design flaw , none would've gone till 30,000kms. The driver and the driving conditions have a big part to play here.

Gurjinder.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    you are right. these are the OEM brakes, they are soft and provide good braking.
    The same brakes in other countries where frequent braking is not required and where temperatures are less they will have good life.
    But in india they wont last more.

same happened with Michelin tyres. they were one of the best. but when launched in india they failed miserably and faced complaints like cuts, uneven wear, early wear out etc.

then they changed the material for India and launched XM1+ which still has soft rubber but good life due to addition of more silicon on them.

So its not necessary that the brake pad design is perfect. it might be good for other countries but here in india they are wearing out very quickly.
    so design change may be in terms of better cooling / addition of some chemicals to the compound etc can be done.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    @Italia linea

How much did you brake pads last? And provide a general break up of the city and highway driving ( for e.g. xx % highway, xx %city driving)
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Italia-Linea you are forgetting that small pads shown above are of Wagon R having 64PS and 84nm Troque and 885 kg kerb weight while Linea is 90 PS, 209 nm Toque and 1210 kg or 1290 kg for older cars which are tested by Magazines. Bigger discs and pads are for compensating for that difference.
    SX4 & Linea, GP, Swift will almost have same size of rotors and pads.
    SX4 too have good brakes and require change around 40 k unlike Swift's 60-80k
    Klub Class, Right both are from GALFER my bad, design change of pads

IMAG0072.jpg

IMG081.jpg
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    the pads also make noise when the car halts completely. also when you have to hold the car on a slope it makes noise if the foot is taken off the pedal slowly.