1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I know FIAT genunine parts are a must for warranty claim, but do brakepads and disc come into warranty as they are most suspectible for wear than any other mechanical part in the car? if doesnt come under warranty then can we look at Bosch parts? they are the ORM's for majority of the car manufacturers in India & are equally good, my Swift and Verna had them and worked well and competative price too (Pads costed me some 2k or so)
  2. Guys, my punto has clocked 5000 kms, but i see heavy deposit of black dust on the wheel covers, When i wash it every sunday i was surprised but thought that it could be some dust coming from the tyre rubber or road, stupid i am.

This really was not the case with my old santro or maruti. Which brand of brake pads punto comes with as OE?
    We need to check for after market ones, if the original do not last long. Changing brake pads and discs so early do not make sense to me.
    Santro's brake pad lasted for 60000 kms and still had life in it. Discs are never changed in both my other cars.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    santro and punto are league apart. how come they are worth comparison? can you higlith the braking qualities for both car comparitively?
  4. Jayadev, from a customer point of view I am just raising a concern, changing brake pads so early is not what any customer expects. More over its a concern of safety, no customer expects the brake pads giving away so early. Imagine the brake pad completely worn out at 10 or 11 k kms and the customer driving it unknowingly in ghats or express highways, he might be in huge trouble. No one can imagine breaks going kaput within the first service. I am just checking whether we have alternative supplier for the brake pads which would not only keep the braking efficiency as is but also has increased life.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    jayadev, my altos brakes are equally good. after the original ones lasted for around 65000 kms with more life left in them i purchased KBX brake pads for 500 rs.
    and they brake even better.

i can easily compare them with braking of punto. my alto comes to standstill immediately when i punch the brakes. its in same leagues as my linea.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Here it comes...

Following are Invoice snapshots of 30K kms service of my Linea.

Brake Pad set = Rs. 2177
    Brake Disc (2 no.s) = Rs. 1982
    Labour = Rs. 1200 :eek:

Linea 30K kms - Invoice details-1.JPG Linea 30K kms - Invoice details-2.JPG
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Alto LXi 80-0 kmph 31.69m
    Linea 1.3 MJD 80-0 kmph 27.56
    This distance will increase further as the speed increases.

Long lasting pads will reduce braking power.
    Both Grande Punto and Swift have same engine with same power.
    GP 1.3 MJD 80-0 27.2 m
    Swift DDiS 80-0 28.09
    GP still have better brakes despite it being heavy than Swift
    Try braking in Swift and Grande Punto with speed above 120 km/hr and you would know difference between long lasting pads and soft pads.

Don't forget some accidents are saved just by inches, and incase of Fiat & Maruti the difference is in metres.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    might be 80-0 figures vary, but in daily city traffic i feel braking of both are almost same. i am not denying that linea and punto has best braking abilities but the brake pads do wear out abnormally.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    My Linea have done 28 k kms and the pads still have some life left in them but I would get them changed at 30 k service, just to avoid a visit to ASS and wasting a full day.
    I agree 30 k kms from brake pads is not much.
    My 800 OEM brake pads lasted 70 k kms. Second Bosch brake pads lasted 50 k kms and Third Bosch brake pads are still going strong with ODO at 1,48,000 kms actually ODO shows 48,000.

Soft brake pads are a necessity in a vehicle like Linea which can do serious speeds on Highways. Long lasting pads behave like soft pads in slow city speeds but as the speed increases they loose their effectiveness very quickly. For eg. Swift DDiS brakes are good till 100 km/hr but post that speed it's like Maruti 800 brakes which have no bite.

VahanPujari 9k kms from brake pads is too low, I suspect rather than the brake pads material or your driving style your brakes have a faulty cylinder or piston which is jamming and causing the wear of brake pads so early.
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    vijay khasa , you said the right point.for the price we paid our fiat's performance is just awesome. i had to use brake at 160kmph and it proved reliable unlike my previous indica vista which after 120kmph brakes turns numb .
    as per the claims of thread started he should be provided with carbon ceramic brakes which would be efficient and long lasting but at a serious price.

me too see a lot of black dust on my alloys and i am sure brake wear is on + side . but ultimately is for quality braking i wont mind that.

i suggest owners to check thier driving style or other reasons for too early brake wear.