1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

2. No

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have done around 9,000 kms on my 1.4Emotion+. I am tired of cleaning the alloys twice a week. I also hear some kind of grrr sound when I break. Now I am worried it may be because pads are gone and they will take the disks with them! Fiat - please please please do something about this break pad problem.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    That means it is time to change your brake pads. I had the same issue. When I got it checked, the brake pads were completely gone. I had done 11000 kms then. But I think it is mostly due to the city driving, where we apply brakes too frequently.
  3. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Mine got changed at 22350 kms.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

nothing such as defective lot. people who stretch brake pad change interval too much end up changing the discs too.

i dont want to pin point, but i have seen a person here who said brakes last long and in another thread mentioned he had to change the discs too :)
    quite an irony, isnt it.
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    This is news to me! My car has completed 31,500kms and is on it's original brake pads. The working is as good as it was when the pads were new.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I did that. During 15K service, when TASC asked that I might need to change Brake pads at around 18 to 20K, I argued & they said that I might need to change it at the most at around 22-25K kms. Afterwards I got lazy & didn't take TASC seriously. Got the Brake Pad changed at 30K kms & thought that Brake pads lasted longer. However, in the process I ended up changing Brake Discs also during 30K km service. I was too busy during that time so didn't argue much with TASC though I dropped them an email why Disc require change so early to which they replied some technicalities. All in all, because I prolonged Brake pad change, I ended up changing Brake Discs also.

There was no change in Braking performance even when Brake Pads & Discs needed change. In fact, there is not much change before & after the change of Brake Pads & Discs. Pls have it specifically checked when you go to TASC else you might also end up changing Discs also like me.

Further Update: During Free service camp on 16th Apr, I was handed over the Job card. There was 1 advise - Brake Pads need change :eek: I asked SA that in 9K kms (from 30K to 39K), do I need to change the Brake pads. He said yes. I asked a senior guy. He said there might be some wear & hence it would have been mentioned. If its needed replacement immediately, it would have been clearly mentioned so don't worry. I really don't know now whom to believe. In any case, when I'll visit TASC next, I'm going to get it checked.
  8. Italia-Linea

Hi Vahanpujari,

You can check it yourself too. remove the wheel and check the brake pad thickness. but i think 9k is too less for brake pads to wear out.

whatever figures 9k, 12k, 15k, 22k etc are too less for brake pad change.

fiat - do something.
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

How much does the Linea break pads and the disc costs ? Just curious to know. My car has done 2.5K and have not come across any issues till now.
  10. Italia-Linea

almost 2000 for brake pads, exorbitant labor charge of 1200 rs for just removing 2 bolts and fitting it which is a 10 min job.

brake discs must be costing a fortune too. may be vahan pujari can tell us how much the charged for brake discs parts + labor.