1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

2. No

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Mailed three people at FIAT India.

Lets see what response I get.

P.S. Whenever there may arise a issue which may concern the majority of FIAT owners , i believe the mods should contact FIAT on behalf of TFI. TFI should be FIAT's most valuable feedback mechanism. What say mods?
  2. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    What do you guys think of ceramic brake pads? generally they run much cooler, and don't fade on extensive aggressive braking, however life is almost the same are regular ones. So any thoughts?
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    and they r extensively expensive and have short life [when compared to price being paid ] ...
    These catch fire on aggressive braking and extinguish within few minutes ....

Dese came first in Mercedes SLR MCLaren ....
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

They've been around much much longer.
    Only in racing applications do they justify their use , under repeated hard braking. In road cars , the difference wouldnt even be felt.

5. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I changed Brake Pads & Brake Discs at 30K kms service. My car is on 39K kms now. Today when I went for free service check up camp, the job card mentioned that Brake Pads need replacement ?!! Only 9,000 kms & it needs replacement? When I asked someone senior at TASC, he said Brake pads may have worn a bit hence SA would have mentioned it !

In any case, since quite some time now I've been observing hell lot of black brake dust on front Alloys. So much so that sometimes the Alloys spokes are covered with dust & looks grey / black instead of silver.
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    For my 15k service nothing was mentioned regarding brakes. When I went for the 30k service there was no rubber at all ! Agreed that Punto has the best braking capability compared to many other cars in this segment, sometimes better than those a segment above, but since Fiat has given a 15k service interval the brake pads should last atleast 2 service visits, 30k km.
  8. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

I guess braking differs from person to person...So how can u say that life of the pads are just 15k??

But yea when it comes to braking issue i have no problems at all..but the screeching sound is very annoying when the brakes are cold...anyone facing such prob? I got my rotor and pad replacement at 4100kms...still the sound persists...and yea too much brake dust..when TASS showed me the stock brake pads there was hell lotta dust on them...it was just unbearable to c so much dust...FIAT shud really do something on this..
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

^^ braking differs from person to person but almost all the fiat linea and punto users are facing this brake wear out issue. under any conditions brake pads dont wear out at just 15k kms. its too short a product life.
  10. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

I got my brake pads replaced at 2nd servicing (15K kms) ... and I did not volunteer for it, the TASC told me to do so. Once I did , a lot of people told me that brake pads last much longer than 15K in other brands of cars. Also, I dont love to push the pedal too hard , so I believe that I won't wear out brake pads too fast either.

Also, with that noise with the discs .. i get that on my car. I asked around , the TASC said its normal with most of the cars running with ABS and I refuse to believe that.