1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

2. No

1. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Before i sold my 1.4 E Pk, at around 19,000 kms the brake pads were estimated (by the advisor) to last untill 27 - 28,000 kms.. but then again i was aggressive on the braking.. And i didnt find it to bother me.. I was determined to have them replaced at 20k itself..
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    brakes in punto are better than excellent. and i love that instant and accurate response i feel safe and consistent..

i end up driving aggressively and braking more often. i have no complaints so far yet.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

today i had a peep at the brake pads with a help of a torch. i could see a dark black rubbery pad with kind of burr over the edges. on sat i had serviced my car and also polished the alloys. on tuesday its full of brake dust.
    i bet this is rubbery material which holds the disc good for better braking but looses its life quickly.

even the service advisor told me that brake pads on fiat punto and linea needs to be changed frequently. some @ 15k service some inbetween.
    he also told me once the car is done around 20-25k people complain about poor braking.
    they they can do nothing but change the brake pad.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Can you post some pictures mate, And how much distance have you run after the alloy polish. I did mine last week as well and have run close to 80 Kms and the dust doesn't seem to be lot. Although I agree that the dust collects a little faster than other cars.
  5. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Mine is at 25k kms now. Brake pad looks good for 30k kms. Punto brake pads now costs around 3K ::OO
  6. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    I got the brake pads changed at the 30k service. SA said I can continue for another 4-5k kms but I didn't want to, so I decided to change.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

During the AC upgradation at Concorde Motors, Mysore Road, I asked the SA and the mechanic about the need for change of my Linea's brake pads. After examining them, both have confirmed that they were in good condition and would work well for many more thousands of km. The SA specifically asked me, if I was using my Linea on highways mostly. When I replied in the affirmative, he informed me, that's why they were still not worn out. My Linea has completed 19,600+ km so far.
  8. Italia-Linea

driving on highways doesnt need much braking. city driving accounts for lot of braking continously. also the pads and discs attain very high temperature while city braking. this causes more wear and tear. on highways brakes remain cool.

i have to clean my alloys every 2 days. i drive mostly in city traffic.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I suggest that we get an offical word from FIAT that under normal usage , how much do these pads last in their estimate?

They would've tested Punto and Linea a lot ( probably lakh+ km's or more ) before launching it in the market and they WILL know the life of these pads.

Only thing is whether they tell us the true picture or not.

So , are the moderators interested in sending FIAT a mail on behalf of TFI?
  10. Italia-Linea

mods have already cleared it that TFI cannot send any mail on behalf of TFI. individual owners have to reach out to fiat.
    i am trying to find out the supplier for brake pads to fiat from my sources.
    also will try to ask the fiat engineers in plant about the life of the brake pads. but i doubt if anyone knows the exact figures.