1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

The other side to the excess wear

The brake pad wear also depends on how aggressively you brake, in general.

If the ABS kicks in, driver brake hard on a regular basis; you will find that the brake pads have worn out quicker and more brake dust is accumulated over the front rims (rear also in t-jet) if you clean the exterior of the car regularly.

Highway driving also increases the wear on the brakes..

Better brakes give you the MOTIVATION to go fast.
    Car's like Santro etc (small engine) dont have that same stopping ability as a punto which de-motivates the driver to go fast (exception being swift), in turn needs less force by brakes to stop the car. Resulting in longer life of the brake pads.

There is always some compromise..
    Better brakes = more wear (compared to other cars)
    less tyre noise/better grip = faster wear (softer compound rubber)
    Drive fast = less FE

I hope we see the other side of the problem as well!
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Re: Team-Fiat group up to request fiat for brake pad design

Manoj: Can you please provide details/address of those service centers?
  3. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    Re: The other side to the excess wear

There u r ,
    we everybody appreciate fiat for its braking efficiency & now complain about brake pad wear !
    The softer the sole of ur shoe the better the grip -but high wear rate , would anyone like to skid ?
    the same applies for brakes , on the contorary if brakepads are hard it will account for faster wear of brake disc , which I suppose should be a more expensive.

Fiat puts safety First , I Don't mind changing brakepads at 20k+kms if I get the same gr8 braking efficiency , let's not forget its the same brakes which had saved many lives.

But certainly the brake dust on front alloys looks ugly ,but its not a issue & can be combat by use of dust repellent spray layer on alloys
    Enjoy Braking !!!

Atul
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

@MODS- Are you ok with name of this thread. I hope TFI is not on the way to any such request.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Just to clarify, TFI is not associated with Fiat in anyway. So any request to Fiat can only be done individually (or individual groups of owners).
    I have modified the thread heading.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    guys. better braking doent necessarily mean more wear out. there are materials which provide better service + better life. there are thousands of such examples. why are you convincing your own mind saying we get better braking so its ok for premature wear out.

tomm you will say we got better clutch plates, so its fine they wear out @ 20000 kms. funny isnt it.

kevlar & ceramic brakes are very good in braking and last atleast 60000kms. kevlar has a bit of high wear but ceramics last real long. similarly there are many such aftermarket brakes which provide performance braking + very good life.

here no one is questioning brake performance. its just the premature wear on them.
  7. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    @italia linea
    I think only fiat India could answer to this query.

Perhaps it might be the higher weight of these fiat cars account for high wear rate ,

But one question still remains unanswered Why don't u get the same braking efficiency with other cars in same range which has less brake pad wear rate ?

BTW any idea abt brake pad wear rate for european punto / linea ?

Atul
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I am fully satisfied with the precise and efficient brakes of my Linea, which has so far covered more than 19 k km with the factory-fitted OE brake pads. I don't see any reason for change of brake pad design. If the pads are to be changed, I shall do it happily.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i am too very much impressed with the braking efficiency of my linea. the brakes do a very good job considering the weight of the car.
    i too think its the weight of the cars + efficient braking contributing to high wear of brake pads.

but if the brake pads are worn out and you wait for the 30k servicing its but obvious that you will have to change the discs as well.

i thinks its wise to change the brake pad by max 20000 by visiting TASS in-between and not waiting for service intervals.

i think the wear on TJET must be low as the rear disc take a fair amount of load on them considering the mjd where front takes the max load.

i have never seen a car that brakes as confident as TJET, as soon as my warranty gets over i will be eying on converting the rear drums to discs.

i dont think it will be that difficult.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The question on brake pads comes from comparison with other brands and models in which brake pads last beyond 30000 kms. If one didn't know about the brake pad life in other brands, this question will not arise at all!
    Customers these days look for value additions when he buys an item, and cars are no exception. A brake that provides better braking and lasts longer will definitely be value addition. Frequent change/replacement of parts adds to maintenance costs. How many of us will go for a car that has high maintenance cost, even if performance is great? Low maintenance and high performance is what people look for. Look at how Chevrolet advertises the "no maintenance for 3 years", though they don’t talk about costs after three years.
    Customer will only remember that “brake pads in some FIAT cars wear out much earlier” and not about the braking efficiency, which is of utmost importance.