1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Re: Team-Fiat group up to request fiat for brake pad design

the funniest thing is they are charging 1200 rs for brake pad replacement and 2000 rs for brake pads.
    lol this is funny.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Rs2000/- for brake pads for 1 wheel or Rs2000/- for a set of brake pads for all 4 wheels?
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

For Linea, I was charged Rs. 2178 for a set of Brake pads total (not for 1 wheel only)
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

I faced a lot of this crap with my Santro, however with Fiat, it has been different so far. ::V
    I was aware that the average life of Punto brake pads were around 20-25K thanks to TFI and so during a check up camp at around 18K, I inquired about brake pads and the service adviser said it is fine now and to have a look at it around 22K.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

But Royj, the problem is we cant be checking this brake pad every time we suspect it. It is not visible from outside and removing it everytime to see the condition is not easy too. Users have been getting varying life with the pads. If Fiat had designed the pad to compulsorily last at least 30,000kms under severe usage,then we can for sure take a decision to change at that km service. For gentle users, they could have got a bit more and left to worry how much they have extended the life which is a bonus.
    I got 27K kms and I remember VP mentioning that he changed pads and disc at much lesser kms and there are many others too. We are not using a sports car. IMO They have to build in a balance.

Abdul
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

I guess the problem here is the lack of consistent life for brake pads. We hear values from a low 12K to high of 35K. Even with inconsistent usage, the lifetime variance should not be more than say 5K.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4

Here is what I paid in December 2010 for full brake pad set:
    Brake pad set Rs. 2158.59
    Brake system, check and ditermine condition(replaced brake pads) Rs. 300

I had done 12000 kms then.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

^^^ one more case of premature change of brake pads. 12000 kms is too less.
    there is such an inconsistency. this is crap.

i will write to fiat now and ask for clarification on this.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

It is not necessary to open brake caliper to see brake pad. You can DIY.

Just remove the wheel. OR You can check at the time of any puncture while installing stepany.
  10. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore

hai.......

I too experienced same prob wth my punto, brake dust on my front wheel caps......and as said during my 15000km service, service guys call'd n told me that pads are worn out, and max it shal go for anothr 1000km,,,, I got it changed.I own a Swift too, which covrd almost 37000+km, still havn't changd the pads, used to get it checkd evry 10000km and was fine. So as such I feel life of brake pads on Punto's are too short.... and definitely I feel FIAT has to call a shot....
    Look into it and get a modified version (mostly metallurgical part of it).....

Nxt time if such issues gonna raise up, i have decided to consult with an outside Fiat Service center ( v got 2 of them in Bangalore).....than getting replacement on first go.. :wink:

Manoj.