1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    FYI, OEM Pads are ATE make.

The ones that sell for around 1K are duplicates IMO.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    They cost me Rs2300. 'Touchwood',brakes like hit a wall ! But don't know how it will be after sometime will wait and see.

Only one rotor skimmed/machined other one is fine.

Type 1 or 2?

No clue.should be the lastest one .I got it done outside FASS .
  3. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Jayadev,

Can you post picture of brakepads if you have any.. that would be great.

Regards,
    Shashank
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No I cant ,I am out of India now at least for a month.
  5. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    I am sick and tired of changing my brake pads... I am running my third set at 41k kms on ODO and there is about 20% life left. I changed my brake as below

1st set which came with the car - Lasted 18k kms
    2nd set changed at 18k - Lasted 12k kms
    3rd set changes at 30k (3rd service) also replaced the rotors- Current ODD 41k kms- Would be changing it after 1k kms- so would have lasted 12k kms

Is this acceptable? Is the quality so bad that it lasts only 12k kms?
    The second set which I had replaced ate through the rotors as well

Are there any alternate options for brake pads which last atleast 15k kms?
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    To be honest, the life of brake pads depends upon a lot of factors. The reason I am saying this is because either Fiat's brake pads are of highly variable quality or else why do people are having such variable mileage out of the brake pads?

@Roadking- It is definitely not normal for brake pads to last just 12k km or so. I have heard members trying Brembo brake pads for Punto by the way.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    You must be panic braking at each corner to kill your brake pads so fast.

Do u have pics of the brake pads that you think are worn out and replaced.

Everyone seems to be ranting that the brake pads are wearing out at 30 k. You seem to belong to a completely different level.

Are u replacing them because the service advisor asked you too or are they really wearing out so fast.

Sent from my moto x using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    No my friend I don't panic brake, in fact my brake usage is very less as I rely heavily on engine braking a very old habit you see.

Didn't bother to take pics of it cos I knew they were busted, I am not sure about everyone ranting about 30k life from their brake pads, for me if they last 18k+ I am happy with them, but the last two lasted only 12k so the concern

I have replaced them after inspecting them and they are really wearing out fast, I even make sure I clean the pads every 5k kms while rotating my tyres. I do drive on the aggressive side sometimes but I cant blame my driving style for this quick wear and tear..
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Not sure how I and many others are able to extract min 30 k then. Something must be different between us and u then. Its not that we are n braking at all to save the pads from wearing.

The abs on my car kicks in at high speeds at least once a day, that speaks a lot about my braking I guess.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Relax bhai log! :D