1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i dont think so,may be reduce the brake pad life by 30Kms :) .
    But yes it will improve your battery life ;)
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If you are using the hand brakes to prevent the car from rolling, when stopped at signals, it should not matter. Even if you use it in stop go traffic, especially when travelling uphill, it should not have any considerable effect. However, if you engage hand brake and then start driving, forgetting to release them, it would obviously have an adverse effect on the brake pad life, amongst other problems, like brake disc wear, tyre wear and poor mileage.

Rajan
  3. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Rajan, pvnaraya drives a Punto and so he shouldn't be bothered about the brake pads but the brake shoes (at the rear) while using the hand brake.

@pvnaraya: Like Rajan has said, using hand brakes shouldn't bring any harm for stop and go. It's better to use up the brake lining than clutch plate lining by slipping the clutch.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Using different set of brake pads didnt affect your cars warranty??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    uploadfromtaptalk1370360895815.jpg

15K kms already and brake pad life is good to go for another 10K minimum..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    What is the ideal thickness of the pad after which we need to replace it

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Im basically using mine until i feel the fricton material will not last until the next weekend.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
  8. prash

prash Timido

Mumbai
    I went through this thread for some answer for which brake pads are better. I have been using Linea since March 2009 and it has clocked 54000 kms till now. My running was city - highway 50%-50%. When my car was for its service the second year (clocked 15000 kms) i got a call from the service center about the brake pads have worn out. I asked them to change it. While reaching i was even billed for disc refurbish. I doubt anything was done, maybe i was just looted. Anyways the point is that even if the pads were changed it did last 40000 kms (or 54k kms in case if they were not changed). And the most i loved about my linea was the way it stopped. Recently I had to change the brake pads which i got it done from a local mechanic. The pads that I went were of Roulands which i bought it for Rs.960. I swear the feel of the brakes have totally changed. What i use to like the most in my linea was gone. Hence now i am planning to change my pads again but super confused which one to go for. Magnett Merelli is strongly recommended by Kava auto, Mumbai. Today i checked my very old worn out brake pads and it mentions the company as Galfer. I was happy with the braking of Galfer and also the life was pretty good (40k kms or 54k kms). I need some review on Magnet Merelli. And if i give car to Fiat service center which make would they use? I just want my barkes to feel the way it was previously and now this time I want to be very sure and not go wrong and keep wasting my money and effort.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The stock OEM pads are ATE make and they seem to be offering the best braking performance compared to any other Pads available in the market from what i read in reviews on this forum. i bought a pair of cheap Pads from 99 RPM an year ago (market as ATE but look like duplicates) but decided to get the OEM pads installed. I probably try those cheap pads just to get a feel of them when the disks are due for replacement.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Mine is 2010 Punto, 32000km on Odo with stock Brake pads,disc and Tire. FASS said they still have lot of juice for another 10k.

My close mate have 2010 Honda city 38000km on Odo,He changed pads 3 times and got the disc skimmed twice.His braking habbits are bit bad.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013