1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Re: Team-Fiat group up to request fiat for brake pad design

Here goes my experience/ story on the exact same point:

I got 2nd service done at around 16,500 kms. During the discussions Service advisor said that I might have to come again at around 19-20,000 kms for Brake Pad change. I asked why so early? I would not like to visit TASC so immediately :mrgreen: He said that, in that case get it done around 22 K kms, many guys have done it at around 15K kms. I said ok and went off. I never felt any loss of bite in the brakes after that for the next 15,000 kms !!!

I went for 3rd service at 30,000 kms & left the car at the same TASC. Service Advisor called me in the afternoon that Brake Pads need to be changed, it was hectic so I did not argue much. Still I asked why. He said your car is driven well compared to others/ normal & the wear is even. May be it can go on for sometime. But its better to do it now. I left it at that & got it done.

Moral of the story - This Brake Pad change business seems like a hype created by Service stations. First it was 19K-20 K kms. then it was 22K kms. Then 30K kms & still it could have gone on. Better to check with some independent mechanic if in doubt about advise of early replacement by TASC.

PS: And yes. After the 2nd service, like Amit (Italia_Linea) I also felt that its too early remembering that a few guys on various forums got it changed quite early. I also posted on forums the question on why so early. But thereafter Brake Pads went on well till 30,000 kms & I'm sure it could have been alright till 35K-40K kms as Brakes did not lose any bite whatsoever.
  2. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4

The brake pads can go on and on but that means you are going to be needing to change your brake disks.

The brake pads are provided as padding or cushion to ensure the brake disks don't wear out fast due to friction between metal -metal.

The best braking will apparently happen when you have a completely worn out brake pad. But this will mean you are sacrificing your brake discs which will eventually get busted.

This is something like a boxers glove. The best punch you can land on someones face with more bite is without the gloves. But the gloves provide cushion and longer life to the fist and the face :D

My experience- i had no problem with the brake pads even till the time i eventually changed them at 34000+ . I was asked to change the pads at 3rd service as a precautionary measure but they could not justify this as the pads looked good. I asked them to changed the pads during another visit where i had my car in the workshop for a minor job of replacing the left ac vent which had a crack. The discs were/ are in a good condition.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4

I asked the service advisor to check brakes when they started making a krrr... sound when braking. The situation was pretty bad that you lose confidence when driving on highways. Also, there was too much soot/brake dust(?) on the front wheel caps. The service advisor himself agreed that this is unusual. After I replaced the pads, the noise while breaking has gone off.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

i can easily make out from the brake pads whether they are worn out. someone who has old brake pads that they change should post a snap of side section.

any idea who is the supplier of brake pads? will have to check out from sources inside. kbx/brake india etc god knows who is supplying.

i will open up my callipers to check the thickness left on my brake pads and then take a plunge at 15k kms. wont believe service advisor.
  5. VahanPujari

Mumbai

This may be the reason why Brake Discs were also changed in 3rd Service of my Linea.
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune

if you had to change brake discs that means your brake pads had given up their life long back still you continued with it and then it ate up the brake disc material too. the asbestos+organic material on the brake pads does not wear out the brake discs.

after a period they become hard and wear out to a extend that only metal remains on it and then then cut out metal on discs.

i can bet that the material on fiat brake pads is very soft and not durable. on the other hand due to softness they grip the discs very well and hence the braking is very efficient on the heavy car like linea.

but this fiat has done at the cost of life of brake pads. and if the users are not knowing this and continue using them thinking that their life must be at par with other cars like maruti, hyundai etc then they are at great risk.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

Sorry for asking this stupid question.
    Isn't it better to sacrifice the brake pads and ensure safety rather than use brake pads that wear out slowly, but has less stopping power? :-?
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune

slowly wearing out brake pads doesnt mean they are not efficient. they are designed to provide right combination of safety and life.
    3-4 k kms here and there is fine.

but say your normal brake pad life is 15k and you use brakes very roughly and they give up in say 13k kms and before you go to service station you get into some accident due to worn out pads.

the material should be in such a way that it should grip the discs good on other hand also has good anti wear properties.

a simple example is a shoes. a lee-cooper will give better grip as well as last long than a 500 rs shoe which grips good initially then gives up in 2 months.
  9. VahanPujari

Mumbai

Roy,

Its coming out that Brake Pads should be changed as soon as advised. Firstly, it'll ensure no compromise on safety & braking. Secondly, as mentioned by FastLove & Italia_linea, it'll ensure that Brake Discs are not worrn out prematurely (this is what may have happened in my Linea).
  10. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet

If you read the owners service booklet carefully .....at the backside of every service coupon there is a description of the activities that are to be performed at each service. Point No. 5 or 6 (I don't remember exactly) states that check disk breaks and replace if required.... and this is one point that these TASS people have been leveraging to sell their spare parts quiet often...and its with practically every Service Center for every Car Brand.....

Throughout your driving life you will come across multiple Service advisers who would want you to replace something or the other in you car in order to increase your billing.....they will try to tell you to add some stupid additives...some would ask you to get some engine scanning done...some would ask you to do decarbonising engine......all that bull crap.

I recommend you one simple Mantra... "Do what your service coupon says". Dont get carried away by all those marketing jingo's form service advisors. Remember they are not there to advise you ...they are supposed to make money for the Dealer...a variable component of their salary gets funded by the billing they are able to achieve in that month.

You have to get in to an irritating habbit of asking "Why, What, What if and why not" and you will have these service advisors running for cover next time they see you coming into service center.

Coming back to breaks replacement issue:
    Next time the service advisor walks up to tell you that your Break pad needs replacement. Ask them to unmount the wheel and show you the breakpad.....and then walk upto the spare counter...and ask him to hand over the new break pad.....compare the two...and if you notice that your existing break pad is 25% or less of New break pad...get it replaced... or else ask the Service advisor to fcuk off.... he may charge you a 200rupees for unmounting and remounting the existing breakpad...but that would be substantially less then replacing 4 sets of break pads.