1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Asking the MID to warn you about dying brake pads will be too much ask!

You could listen for any unusual noise while braking. Like Krrr... or so.
  2. @Narayan:- looks like you breakpad is holding the disk(they are in contact with applying the breaks). Which is not normal. you should able to rotate the front wheel freely without issue.
    please go service station and get it checked.
    @Fiat_Fan:- we don`t have any light or signal to know that its time to change the pads. its all you get the feeling and no more confidence on the car breaks. and when they change your pads you will get the old pad after they change or you can ask SA to show the package of the new break pad which they changes in your car.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Hi All,

I have a question, if the break pad need to be changed with in 15k kms, don`t you guys think its should be changed under warranty(any driving condition). I m asking because i see other manufacturer give you this facility under warranty. then Why not FIAT. I think TATA get the new break pad under warranty for our car and then he charge for it. Because they(TATA Service adviser) tell us its not covered under warranty and we blindly believe them.
    Let me know your thoughts.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Hi All,

I have a question, if the break pad need to be changed with in 15k kms, don`t you guys think its should be changed under warranty(any driving condition). I m asking because i see other manufacturer give you this facility under warranty. then Why not FIAT. I think TATA get the new break pad under warranty for our car and then he charge for it. Because they(TATA Service adviser) tell us its not covered under warranty and we blindly believe them.
    Let me know your thoughts.
  3. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    yep I too think the same. Fiat service manual says at the time of 15k service that there will be checking of break pads and discs and if necessory, it should be changed.. so with in 15k if we change break pad, it should be under warranty. but even 15k is too less

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

theres some sound while breaking..but no sound on sudden breaking.?!!! I didnt felt any lack of confidence with the breaks..
  4. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Thanks for the clarification Drive_Drift. I will add it to the list of items that i need to check in my next service center visit.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    MITUTOYO | Product Information

Please look for the Mitutoyo VC. They are good and cost about 2000 bucks..I plan to procure one..
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I feel the compound needs to be better .. Existing pads are really not that great at all.
    I mean my first set of pads died at 13k (started at least) and i had done heavy trips over ghat sections almost once in 2 months .
    Now I'm nearing the end of my 2nd set's life as well (at 28000) and this time its been a mix of highway and city but just 2 ghat section drives and yet pads are dying ..

Major city driving and ghat section driving both gave me same life?? :eek:
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Something wrong with your driving style probably. My first set lasted 40K before I thought of changing it, although it had another 2-3K life left in it. Remember this is my first car, I use lots of engine braking & also anticipate stops and take foot of accelerator. I'm extremely satisfied with Punto's braking ability and can't sacrifice it for harder/longer life pads.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Depends on Driving Style in CITYs too..if u throttle accelerator and Brake again and again in B2B traffic, Chances of wear out of your Brake pads is more and Tyres too..
    In Highways it again depends on driving style ...keeping safer distance from front vehicle can avoid more braking intervals....if u are cruiser then you ought to face changes of sudden braking.. My punto started squeking noise when it completed 23000KM...I changed them at 24500KMs...Even i was not happy with Brakepad life...
    Mechanic expressed suprise and said ..how come ur brake pads done with 25K Kms..:)

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Some guy in our forum has changed brake pads..to ROLUND brake pads....can any one throw light on this ..as this is much cheaper than OE Brake Pads ...3k for brakepads i think its too much to think about.
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Has any one tried BOSCH brake pads? or for that matter any aftermarket brake pads on punto?
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Got my brake pads changed @ 19500 kms. Would have lasted 500 more. But didn't want to take chances of the disc getting damaged. One important point that I was told by the SA was if the metal start rubbing with the disc, prior to replacing the pads it is better to get the disc polished at any lathe . Else the newly replaced brake pad will worn out faster due to the uneven disc surface caused my the metal contact from the earlier worn out pad.
    This is one type of brake pad which is coming for Punto. I was told that there are 2 types. One with a clip (Which is rounded in red) & the another type without a clip. Experts can comment if this is true. Mine is Nov 2010 model Punto MJD 75 Hp.

19052012610.jpg
    Last edited: May 21, 2012