1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%

1. Hey, I agree with your 1st statement. However, I disagree with you on the comment made on life of brake pads in normal and harsh braking condition. Say if the life of the pads under conservative braking is 50K, under harsh braking it can be as less as 20-25K which is 50%. Well this information is from testing several vehicles, several brands and formulation of brake pad as a braking system engineer.
  2. One of thing, braking performance and wear out of brake pads to a large extent depends on the weight of the vehicle. More the weight higher the wear out keeping rest of the things constant.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Guys,

I had my brake pads last 27.000 kms in the first instance. Now I am clocking 41K. Recently I had to been to TASC for an alignment check and those guys had penned down an observation in the job card that Disc and Pads need change, but I I had clocked only 14 K Kms after the first pad change and I was wondering if what I had been reading on TFI is indeed true. Couple of days back I had my tyres changed and that gave me an opportunity to have a good look at the pads. There had good life in it alteast another 10 -15 K and the disc too.
    So dont go by the Service advisors advice totally. I request you to have a personal look and decide. Scoring marks on disc is all part of usage and nothing to be alarmed. It need not look like a polished engineering piece at all times.

Abdul
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am facing the strange problem of brake discs getting caved when the brake pads are still good for another 2000 kms. I replaced the brake pads at 11000kms and now I am at 23000kms.
    brakedisc1.jpg

brakedisc2.jpg
    Notice the inner and the outer edges of the disc. Both the left and right discs have same issue! Is this alright or does it require replacing the discs?
    The SA said I can go on for another 2000kms and replace both brake pads and the dics at one shot. I am still not conviced as the brake pads are not completely worn out, with still about 0.5mm left. The SA had no clue as to how can the discs damage when the pads are still fine. He first told me that it is because the discs are not replaced while replacing brake pads. :confused:
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @fiatlover the disc looks fine to me visually but more can be said only after measuring thickness of it with a vernier gauge. The disc should be thicker than 20mm if its less than that it have to be replaced.

I got the Roulunds brake pads for my linea and they are excellent. The car stops much better than before, all the brake squeaks have gone and the alloys still are completely silver in color after 500 kms with fiat oem pads alloys used to turn black within 100 kms.
    And the best part is they cost only 1000/- much lesser than Fiat Oem pads which cost 2800/- now.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks Vijay! I will check with them if they have a vernier guage. Or I will try to get one on my own.

Brakes even now are 100% efficient. I just completed an 900kms trip on NH and country roads. Throughout the trip there was not the slightest doubt in braking efficiency.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    This is one of the Weaknesses of Fiat. Brake pacd and disc replacement are too early.

I changed both together twice - at 30k kms and 60k kms.
  8. Hi all. I got my brake pads changed at 30K for 2750/- a pair. The discs are OK. I think Fiat is overcharging for the pads. I do agree about the brake dust. It is much more than any other car I have seen. Next time I will definitely change pads to some other brand out side. Even if I change every 15K it will be cheaper to do it outside.
  9. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    One observation on my punto: When i had to change my front left tire since it went flat, i tried rotating the discs. I was expecting that they would rotate freely since i had the vehicle in neutral gear. But it did not, i had to rotate with a little bit of force to rotate the discs. Is this normal or is there an issue with my pads. I have got close to 15kms on those new pads, and I have not changed the discs.

Please let me know if this is a common phenomenon?
  10. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    how can I identify whether the breakpad has to be change or not? any signals or lights in MID when the break pad get too thin to break? my punto ran around 19k still going well..
    another thing I want to know is that, the cost of discs and break pads for punto now.