1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the ones on linea and punto here seems to be different. they are 123 X 53

i am also trying my luck nothing else. it will be only after trial and extended use that i can comment if they are better than Galfer. but all over the fiat forums brembo , ferado and EBC performance brakes seem to be better than galfer.

Thanks a lot Ravi, that is a good break through. how did u manage to get the part no? is the part no written on the new brake pads/ old ones that you have?

these pads are used on different models other than linea and punto worldwide.

so its quite evident that indian version has different brake pads, bigger for better braking on indian roads.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The part number is my bill, for new brake pads.
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    okies i called up the EBC folks. but they say that they have it 151 X 52 but not 151.2 X 52.53. now i am wondering whether 0.5mm is margin of tolerance or these pads wont go in.

he said thats its strange that linea has them though. new puntos and lineas have 123X52X18
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Gurus,
    My punto is clocking at 13000km .
    This is how brake pad looks like. Any guess how long it can go?
    Thanx in advance.

break pad.jpg
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    dont worry jaydev, they still hold good. check after 5000 kms again. they are very good now
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Even there is change in design of brake pad,braking friction will be same.
    So how it is possible to reduce the wear of brake pad ?

If you want to maximise the brake pad life,then braking force will be less.

What do you want ? Good braking force or more brake pad life ?

In short there is no any connection between design of brake pad and its life.

Wear and tear of brake pad is completley depends upon driving style and use of brakes.

In all vehicles which I had owned FIAT Uno (P), M 800,M Alto Lxi, Swift Dzire (P)
    & currently owning Grande Punto, I changed brake pads only after 40-45 thousands KM.

@ Mods, Please edit the topic name. Otherwise people who bashes FIAT,will get new issue to bash GP & Linea
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    In 45K kilometers I ve replaced my brake disc 3 times (15k, 30k & now at 45k) and pads 4 times (15k, 30k, 37k, 45k). I understand the pads getting worn out. But everytime they replace the pad they tell me that the disc needs to be changed too. There is no point in arguing with these guys as they simply shift the blame to driving style & that warranty on replacements dont go beyond 5k Kms. Rs. 6000/ odd is the all incl cost. But Im not complaining coz I really love the way linea brakes & the confidence it inspires.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Disc should be change if there is seizing marking on it. IF disk is clear and soft,then no necessary to change it. To avoid death of disk,don't use brake pads to its end limit.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If anybody want to change to other brand pads here are part no for other brands
    Tecdoc 08778
    Ferodo FDB1376
    Mintex MDB2076
    Bendix 571974B
    Bosch 0 986 424 554
    Apec PAD1427
    Texstar GDB1383
    Zimmerman 23552.180.1
    TRW GDB1443
    brembo P23079
    EBC DP1336
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Vijay

Avoid to use aftermarket brake pads. Brake pads & brake calipers should be same brand.
    Otherwise possibility of complications is there. Still anybody insisting, BOSCH is the faithful brand.