1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Request fiat for brake pad design change

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Should fiat change the design of low life brake pads which is a huge safety risk

1. Yes

73.0%
  2. No

27.0%
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Hi All,

Since the day i bought my linea i have kept her spanking and clean. during cleaning i have always observed lots of brake dust all over the front alloys.
    this made me doubt that there is lot of wear on brake pads and they wont last more.

i started investigating the average life of the brake pads. i also inquired at service stations.
    i was shocked to hear from owners and over the various forums that the life of brake pads is around 15000 kms :shocked

and i am more shocked since team-fiatians are just okay about it.

this is not acceptable at all keeping in mind the service intervals of 15k kms. the brake pads are critical components related to safety of the car and such a terrible life is not acceptable.

on an average the minimum that brake pads last is atleast 35000-40000 kms.

i think as a part of respectable forum we should write to Fiat india to change the brake pad design and also change the material on them.

they should recall all cars and fit them with better pads.
    1 person likes this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Re: Team-Fiat group up to request fiat for brake pad design

Italia-linea,

I fully support your suggestion. Though I got 27K Kms before change the change of brake pads, I too felt it was pretty early. It would be interesting to know the wear rate on i20 and the Polo as they are cars which are comparable to Punto/ linea by size and weight.

Abdul
  3. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras

IL,

I completely agree with you. When my car was at 25k, the brakes started losing bite when pressed. I decided to get them checked during the 3rd service and continued to drive. The SA who inspected the car during the 3rd service said that both my brake pads and disc have worn out and that they need to be changed. Bill - 11k. More than the monetary loss, I'm concerned about the life of the pads which shouldn't be so low. The brake pads alone should last for at least 40k km.

Hope Fiat seriously looks into this issue. Thanks to you for bringing this up.
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune

just met my friend in my neighborhood. he has a 1.2 punto. he too changed the brake pads during 15k service. he said he had complained to the service advisor for poor braking performance. he said that there was a lot of wearout on the brake pad.

either the brake pad material is not holding up or the discs are not designed properly and they wear out the brake pad material.
    these are the only options either of them its a big problem now.

has oneone picture/specs/make of brake pads on punto and linea?
  5. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune

the only way to test this would be for some one to fit in a pair of aftermarket brake pads ...agree?
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4

I don't think the low life of the brake pad is a thing to be okay with. I got my brake pads checked when could hear/feel some krrr.. sound when braking. After checking this, the service told me that brake pads have to be replaced, and if not replaced, it may damage the disks. I had then clocked only 10000+ kms. In most other cars, the average life of brake pads is 35000 kms. The sevice advisor tells me that the max life punto/linea brake pads is 15000 kms, which is too short. It is unacceptable.
    This being a safety concern, we should push as much as we can to get better quality brake pads from FIAT.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Completed 39000 KM. Still my brake pads are good. (Factory fitted) :wow

They will definatly give me service upto 45000 KM. I will replaced at 4th Service.

It depends on how you use your brake. Harsh & constantly braking will definately premature wear & tear.
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune

bahi i have 4 cars at my home.
    all the brake pads lasted for almost 50000- 65000kms.
    my linea is done only 2500 kms and i see a huge amount of brake dust only on linea. and service advisors too say that they last 15-20k max.

you car is extraordinary. you hardly must be braking, you must just be zooming with turbo boost :)

one applies brakes only when he wants to slow down. i am very particular on braking and never i come across instances where i need hard braking except 1-2 times.
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

I changed the brake pads when I was at 29000Km, but my brakes had not lost any mite persay. But I am sure the dust produced and seen at the alloys is just too much.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Some GP are replacing pads too much early. Some pads are giving good milege.

Some Linea are replacing pads too much early. Some pads are giving good milege.

Then it is problem of defective lot of brake pads. Not necessary to change design.