1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Replacing complete dashboard unit of punto with new one

Discussion in 'Interiors' started by gazgotta, Nov 22, 2013.

1. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi all

I am not sure if this is possible, but wanted to check with fellow members here. I like the new dashboard of the fiat punto sold in other countries. :-?

I want to know is it possible to fit this new dashboard complete unit in existing models of the punto sold in India.

Existing Dashboard unit.
    DSC_0174.jpg

New dashboard unit of fiat punto ,
    2012-Fiat-Punto-Dashboard.jpg
    6 people like this.
  2. Puntoed

Puntoed Amatore

Austin / Blr
    Never think of it. It's not easy to find a replacement like this , Period.

if its done by you then your will be first Punto in World to get a make over like this.!!!!
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Absolutely doable, as long as you can source all the components involved, which might not be too hard if the facelifted model is launched in India. If you are really serious about it, please do proper research, ensure that the mount points and fittings are compatible, take your time and all will be well. When you are done, the sense of achievement is priceless.

However, easy way out - when this is launched in India, sell your car and buy one of these :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    8 people like this.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Nothing is impossible, but it needs loads of effort time and patience. But as said the achievement is priceless!!
    3 people like this.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The mounting points should be the same, as said. And this can be achieved easily too. But is it practical? No. Why?

The old instrument cluster of the Punto which our Indian Puntos have themselves cost around 30K. Let's say the new one costs 40K. Add to it the cost of the Climate Control unit, the music system and the different Blue&Me system, plus the passenger airbag to the cost and you are looking at bills more than a lakh rupees. Doesn't make sense, better to trade the car and buy the new one like PatchyBoy said. :D
    1 person likes this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @DRIV3R - Agree with most of what you are saying. But consider this - I have already spent well over a lakh getting a remap done, adding CAI and FFE, revamped interiors with premium leather upholstery, top of the range speakers and sub-woofer, projector headlights, etc. I love the looks of the new dashboard and want it badly. In this case, selling the car and buying a new one is not an option, right?

I think the question is more from a technical feasibility stand point and not from a financial perspective. So, technically, I think it is possible. Financially is it worth? That depends on each individual :D

Rajan
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That is what I exactly said. Am sure for most of us, it is not much value.

It just improves the looks, functionality remains the same, right! And my bad, I missed out the cost of the dashboard unit itself in my last post. I will not be surprised if the figure nears the 2L mark even. ;)
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That holds good for most modifications we do, doesn't it? ;)

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Alright Patchyboy,
    Considering all the above statements true, you will need to start searching for the RHD Dashboard on the internet.
    Go ahead and make yourselves and others happy and proud as well !
    Mind you there will be issues that can stay unaddressed, like forever.

And please buy yourself a hairdye as well. :evilsmile

Having said that (and not to discourage you) please do maximum research, as apparently no member here has done this before.
    You are at Banglore, else I would have jumped in on this project with you.
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Wrong on all counts :D

1. This is gazgotta's project, not mine. I am only saying it is doable
    2. The picture posted is of a RHD dashboard
    3. I am bald as an egg and have no use for a hairdye :evilsmile

Rajan

PS: Now that you have put the thought into my head, I might consider doing it in my Jet ;)
    5 people like this.