1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Renault - Nissan k9k Engine to compete MJD's

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by zenwalker, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ^^ Are you sure they are single injections per cycle?
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Oh Wait,

I now google up, and they say 5 squirts per cycle, introduced post 2009 and the common rail being of Bosch. Not sure,
    if the all K9K engines in India are updated with the same. I remember comparing Logan's spec, and it dint mention any multiple squirts per cycle
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I second you on this. Linea fully loaded with 5 people + AC in 45 deg. heat will easily climb the average Delhi Flyovers even when you remove your foot completely of the throttle at 30km/hr in 5th gear, hardly an effort!! I know, people will argue that ECU is programmed for an anti stall feature but so must have been the other cars. You don't program your car for an anti stall feature in 5th gear, slot it into 5th@10km/hr & it will stall, so where is the antistall in your FIAT?:evilsmile It is more than that, any engine have to go a long way before being competitor to FIAT MJD & Multiair, especially the small engines. Not only in India but else where in the world too. I remember comments for 1.4 ltr Alfa Mito - Multiair non-turbo (1.4 ltr / 105 BHP / 170 NM) from a magazine review when Multiair technology was just launched in 2009. "There is nothing spectacular about the performance figures on paper but this pony little 1.4 ltr gasoline engine has no right to feel powerful & gutsy like a big diesel!!!" The journalist along with 3 people was climbing on 45 degree steep inclination in 6th Gear @ 30 km/hr without any shuddering/knocking or any major throttle lag!!

No proof is enough for ignorants but it does nothing to the fact. After CRDI, Mercedes is pursuading FIAT to license "MULTIAIR" Technology for production. You may not like it but it's official!!
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    They are all multiple injections per one combustion cycle. Single injection diesels disappeared decades ago.

Cheers.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Gurjinder 22ji but Renault and Ford are still providing cars with such outdated technology and people still debate that K9K and Duratorqu is more drivable than our MJD. :confused.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

What has Outdated Technology has to do with Driveability?
    Most old age DI Turbo engines have amazing driveability as compared to modern Common Rails
    Have you ever seen a Mahindra DI Turbo with just 63 Horses perform on steep inclines?
    Recently i drove a 85PS duster and was completely bowled over by its response at lower revs.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thats what I meant to say. People are going mad with performance of K9K which technologically far behind than our MJD. Engine performace at lower rpm is good as compared to MJD.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

When it comes to outright performance,both are at Par:)
    K9K scores for its drive ability,while MJD for its performance and refinement at higher revs.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Its the injector design that attracts royality. If ford/renault will use same rail design, they have to pay fiat.what else, fiat sold it to bosch in 1998 and getting it procured from bosch only. Best is subjective when it comes to engines, what is guaranteed is fiat will keep introducing technologies that will keep benchmarking the rest of sector.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. You can easily get a car to produce loads of torque at low rpm and you cab easily get a car to pull hard at high rpm's

What is not so easy is to achieve a perfect combination between both these ends. You either have a bias towards low end power or a bias towards high rpm pulling. The Linea is an example of good mid-range power with excellent top end performance. It is all down to what sort of engine the manufacturer wants to give to the customer. Different manufacturers the world over have different philosophies. FIAT wants its customers to enjoy the joys of high rpm driving.

BMW had to put three, yes 3, turbochargers in it's top of the line 5 series diesel (M550d) to get it to perform equally well at low, mid and high rpm's. That car isn't cheap so BMW could put in this expensive tech without any worries. Linea etc are all built to a price so manufacturers can only do so much.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.