1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Renault - Nissan k9k Engine to compete MJD's

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by zenwalker, Mar 2, 2013.

1. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Recently one of my colleague's father bought Renault Duster. Previously he owned palio MJD, he is not satisfied with duster. He says that the pickup is not up to palio's.

This is purely his view and I myself do not have any experience with duster/k9k.

2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The Nissan's are lighter then the Fiat's hence you may have felt they are more fun to drive. The Nissan website rates Sunny Diesel at 1097 Kgs while Fiat's website rates the Linea diesel at 1210 Kgs. That's a difference of 113 Kgs. The K9K powered cars may also be more fuel efficient but then again it's the weight at play here. I haven't driven the Duster so I don't know how sprightly it feel's but gearing also has a lot to do with how the performance of the car feels and we all know how badly Fiat messed up in that area.

I feel if we want to compare the engine's then put a K9K in a Punto and then compare it. That would be the correct apple to apple comparision. Even refinement can vary based on the amount of sound deadening used. Regarding mileage, we should have a idling Micra and Punto next to each other and see how much fuel they burn in one hour. Not sure how scientific the results would be but maybe it's better then driving the two car's with different weight's and gearing back to back to arrive at the mileage.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    People are being impressed by quoting paper figures.
    I mean 85 PS,110 PS & 1500 cc etc.
    But what about drivability factor?
    In the field of low end torque,nvh level MJD is always ahead.

I got info that Duster has terrific turbo-lag
    3 people like this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

With regards to the Micra, Logan the main difference between them and the MJD is the drivability within the city. The former has almost zero turbo lag. On the highways it's a different story though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    +100. The K9K engine has good low end driveability where the 1.5 Litre engine size also helps in building up that torque. However, on the highway, the story is completely different the MJD wins hands down. IMO, its not right to compare the 1248cc Vs a 1.5 litre engine.

By the way K9K engines is doing around 40-50K engines a year, whereas the Multijet is well over 3 lakh units. The K9K has a long long way to go.

Will need to wait and see which of the manufacturers will be standing at Fiat's doorstep once the 1.6 MJD comes out here in India.
    4 people like this.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

After 15 yrs of driving with lacs of kms inside city like Delhi, I am yet to understand things like drivability in city. How do you drive it mate...:evilsmile . OK..that's how i compare.

1. Can you imagine a Micra diesel engine into a Linea/SX4/Ertiga which when fully loaded will be close to 1.8 to 2 Tons depending on size of luggage & passengers? They sound outright rubbish of cars, don't they. I have seen these cars fully loaded at unbelievable speeds!! It can propel a fully loaded linea to 190 km/hr. What are you talking here (as they say in tapori, Halua hai kya:) (is this a joke!)).

2. Since it doesn't have any other end (which is called top end!), Low end surge will come a 200 rpm earlier. Nothing spectacular about it. Look at other side, it's naked for whatever size it is even to a 5yr older Multijet. What would you trade off for what?

3. I am sure you know that you are comparing 2009 diesels series with 2004 diesel series when MJD-2 is around from the same year as K9K. MJD-2 takes off @1200 rpm. Still i won't talk about 1.6 FGT (Not VGT!) which is recently upgraded to 320 NM for 500L with consumption of 72 mpg combined!! (26kmpl). Around 280 Nm is available @1200 rpm with a service interval of 35000 Kms in Europe:-D!!!

Sorry but one who really knows the strength of his MJD's possession would never even think of anything like k9k.
    Fact of the matter is, nice try Mr. K9K but may be some other day, not today;)!
    8 people like this.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

As brought by Amit and Enki, it isn't a fair comparison. BUT, knowing how Indians get swayed by hearsay (micra me duster wala engine hai type), Fiat should see and recognise the competition in their strongest business arm - engine production. This is one thing they should never never let go. I mean, presently, MJD being touted as the national engine is the only saving grace for Fiat. There is no doubt that Fiat has the technology and innovation with them to take on K9K or any other, it is only a matter of time.

I feel their road map makes sense in that they have started working from ground up. Rather than bringing in new technology straight away, and not being able to service it, it is better they establish themselves as RELIABLE first. Going by amount of inaugurations happening almost every other day, they have conquered at least one demon - adherence to timelines. Everyone will remember how timelines on Linea, Punto, TJet launches went horribly wrong.

To cut a long story short, K9K may be a good engine, MJD is better and even better ones are available in Fiat's stable and going by Fiat's plans, it is quite likely that we will see them in India sooner than expected.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Recently I was looking for D -segment sedan as there is no offering from fiat i checked the options like Elantra, Fluence, Jetta and Laura. Now let me talk about Fluence. It was nice car but believe me its K9K 1.5 108 bhp engine no match to my 2012 Linea Linea's MJD. During test drive I show a big slope so I try to climb on that but for my surprise the car struggle with just two people and Climatecontroll on. I have to shift to First where my linea easily climbs in Second. Other thing even though it drives on 6 speed manual mid range is poor. So I feel even if we dontthink about MJD -2 the current one means MJD is still better then K9K.
    1 person likes this.
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

i have driven micra and sunny..but the cars have almost nil turbo lag..

Fiat should introduce mjd II and mutiair engines to indian market.

and so for fluence.. i personally feel that car needs a bigger engine.
  10. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Renault k9k - 2 valves per cylinder. 8V. Single Injection per cycle.
    Ford Duratorq - 2 Valves per cylinder. 8V. Single injection per cycle.
    Fiat Multijet I - 4 Valves per cylinder. 16V. upto 5 injections per cycle.

Fiat's Multijet is far more superior.:cool:
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.