1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Renault launches 4X4 version of Duster

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by pv_krish, Sep 24, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Guys,

Renault has launched the long awaited 4X4 version of Duster.

Seems this is the cheapest 4X4 available in the market and this might eat up the Yeti crowd which was already not doing that great.

The cabin seems to have improved and looks better than the older version.

The steering mounted controls are more conventional and all seem well put together.

The variant seems to be feature rich and engages 4X4 on the fly.

So guys, a cheaper alternative and a competitor to XUV and Yeti? What do you think?

So many Leh dreamers can dream better ;)
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So it seems none are too excited about this launch. Anyways, I have booked a test drive for tomorrow and planning to drive it in ECR and see how it feels.

Will give a brief post after that.
  3. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The guys from the showroom called and informed me that the test drive vehicle for the AWD variant is yet to arrive.

They have given a tentative appointment for next weekend.
  4. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Finally, today I did the test drive of AWD Duster. Will write a short review, not professionally like what our mods might do.

Renault launched the duster in 2012, if I am right. I had a visit to the only showroom in mount road and the car was in display. Neither did the design appeal me nor the interior. Apart from that the ergonomic for odd.

How does the new AWD package fair?

Refined engine, absolute delight, linear acceleration, good power delivery
    Almost 0 NVH, I could not hear any noise, not even the diesel clutter inside the cabin
    Superb suspension. Was told that its a new multilink unit for the AWD variant and nothing intrudes the cabin in any speeds
    Good AWD, available on torque. Went into the beach sand and some incline in the beach and it did hold up.
    Delight to drive, steering response is good and weighs up nicely as the speed builds up.
    You will not know when you hit 100 and curves can be taken with confidence.
    Good seating position and under thigh and shoulder support. Am 6'4'' and was very comfortable

Confused ergonomics. I do not understand what they were thinking while designing the interiors.
    No driver's armrest. I would say its a crime for this vehicle and the price point.
    Lots of missing features, no dead pedal (Foot wall is quite wide) :banghead:, no auto climate control, no cooled glove box, no side airbags
    They have a touch screen multi-function HU, but no rear camera parking sensor
    AC effect is pretty average, my Punto Chills me down in any kind of temperature
    Most importantly, price is too steep. That was the problem when it was launched and now its even more

Overall a good package, but would I buy or recommend, I have my doubts.
    punto_emotion likes this.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It is not the cheapest; Scorpio LX/S4 -4WD is cheaper; Then you have Mahindra Thar and Maruti Gypsy.
    Also the Duster 4WD is deviod of a Low ratio transfer case which is a must if one plans to go off roading.
    And not to mention 4WD lock in the Duster can be engaged at speeds upto 60km/hr after that it switches back to 2WD mode.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

So I went "AWD"ing in the new Duster AWD yesterday. My positive observations are exactly on the lines as @pv_krish. My off-road was one of the numerous hill slopes turned into construction sites, essentially no-road, only deep ditches and mud. And it really did take it all quite smoothly. I was truly impressed. The SA actually encouraged me to try out deeper ditches. (Its a test car anyway, will find itself up for sale after being spruced up sooner). But yes, Duster really was quite impressive.
    Now, on the negative side:
    1)bad ergonomics, especially for the power-mirror adjustment.
    2) At my seat adjustment levels, the rear legroom behind the driver seat is mediocre.
    3) Boot space seems to be a bit low for the price.

I did not find anything terribly wrong with the build quality. People have complained about flimsy doors. I didnt find them so. Have they beefed them up a bit ?

I must say I rather enjoyed the higher driving position of these SUV-type vehicles.

But here's the thing. Storme VX 4x4 (truely 4x4) comes in at 16.2 OTR Pune, Duster AWD at 15.8 OTR. Other than traction control, the Storme should be quite superior in the " true off-road" aspects, as well as supremely comfortable for passengers. Havent driven one extensively to comment from a drivers perspective though.