1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Renault Duster

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by ramjn, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    There is an old saying -
    "Hell is a place where the police are German; the chefs are English, the car mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss and it's all organized by the Italians...."

Citroen, Renault And Peugeot (C R A P). WSJ report on why French cannot make good luxury cars like Germans.
    Why the French Cannot Make Luxury Cars Like BMW, German automaker BMW posted higher-than-expected earnings for the first quarter fueled by higher sales. Do...

Doubtful after Fluence and koleos, duster will be a hit..
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Some Photographs

Today, I happened to see the Renault Duster in flesh. I went to EA today where I saw that Renault has put up a stall for the new Duster and Pulse. As far as the looks goes, I really liked it. The front view is indeed stunning. The back is average though. I stepped into the drivers seat and looked at the interiors as well. The plastic quality is not top notch but not bad either. Very surprising thing here is that I did not feel like I am in a SUV. It looked a tad higher than Sedans from the driver's seat.

Interestingly, Toyota has also put a stall today to promote the so called 'Q class' vehicle. They brought in a group of boys and girls. They were dancing, conducting games, asking questions and giving gifts as well. For this reason, the whole crowd was thronging at this stall. Five day old Duster had very few visitors. I really felt bad for Duster :(.

Ok, coming back to Renault Duster. My verdict (only based on look and feel, No TD though) is, honestly I liked the vehicle. I was bowled over after seeing the front of the Duster. I feel the Duster might have been a huge hit if priced a lakh less than the current price.

Now, time for some pictures.

P1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p7a.jpg

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

p10.jpg

The Pricing in Chennai

p11.jpg

The crowd puller, 'The Q class' :D

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Clearly, Renault has positioned Duster as a marriage between Sedan & SUV. It's 5-seater capacity won't allow her to compete with full-fledged SUV's. However, Sedan buyers may get tempted with it's good looks, SUV-like stance & kind of mini-SUV style/ space. It's 85PS models might do well as it's right into Sedan territory.

However, Challenges for Renault would be that over a period of time, the SUV-hype it created in it's positioning may get over & proper-SUV lovers may lose interest. The other challenge will be Distribution & Service Network. Not easy. Somehow, I've a feeling it would be very very difficult for Renault. Remember, how Logan was not selling earlier but after Renault exit, Mahindra was able to increase sales?

Since, XUV was also discussed here, well, XUV is and will be XUV, after all from the stable of Mahindra. It has all advantages of Mahindra and all disadvantages of Mahindra. In terms of Sales abilities, it's well placed with Mahindra's wide reach in every corner of the country. It'll always be cost-competitive, be it Price or the spares. However, it also has the typical disadvantages - Niggles are a way of life, refinement is a question-mark. Last when I drove an XUV, it felt not refined. I didn't enjoy driving her. But it would do well because of Mahindra's cost-advantages & Distribution.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Let us wait and see how people accept it. From front it looks good. From side it didn't look like an SUV, especially in the photo with front door open. The sitting position is very low. I liked the big Logo on the grill. Dash is not good ,not bad but simple. Alloys doesn't look that great. But most important thing is drive. If it can give a solid European feel in drive it can compensate for what it lost in terms of proper SUV characteristics.
  5. A Dream Come True.

I visited the Renault showroom in Anna Nagar today with my wife. My wife initially was not ready to come, as she was afraid I would get seduced by this SUV as I did for Punto. On the way to the showroom, unusually she was explaining to me about the financial crunch we were in, the future commitments we have and all those stuffs.

The showroom was crowded which may be something unusual for them I guess. Exterior was amazing, eye catching and seducing too. The interior was impressive too, going by the reviews I expected a bad interior, but to my surprise I loved it. As ramjn said though the exterior is SUVish the interior is CARish. Except two things, I loved every aspect of the car. First one is the rear A/C vent, Who the hell designed it and why the hell. There is gonna be a fight between the rear passengers denying to sit in the middle. The second is the 12+ Lacs for a car with 85 BHP motor. Only after knowing this my wife understood that punto 90 HP is powerful. Other than these two I liked everything of this car. The only CAR/SUV next to Fiat Punto/Linea I admired so much.

No test drive Vehicles were available. Only on Monday they were expecting one. The lady out there said, I have to try for a TD only after 2 or 3 weeks. I asked why, she said from tomorrow we are expecting a huge crowd for two weeks so it would be better if you come after all this hype so that you can spend more time with the car and decide on booking. She thought I was serious about booking one. There were almost 10 different families checking out the car today and from what I heard, everybody complained about the rear a/c and almost everbody were praising the SUV.

The sales guy explained me about a weird accessory. It is a factory fitted child seat, done only based on order. I thought it was a nice option. Then he told the child seat will be put in the boot space which seemed to be a bad idea by renault. First of all the it is not at all safe in the boot if there happens a rear ending by a bus or lorry and also the boot space will be compromised.

If I had not got my Punto till now or If I have to upgrade to a Sedan, I would go for this miniSUV for sure 100%. If Fiat had one in the same segment, then the story is entirely different. This is the kinda SUV I have been dreaming about for the past 10 years. A car that will take me through almost any terrain and carry as much I want and also looks rugged. But it was just a blurred image in my dreams. Today the clear picture I have seen in flesh. Thanks to my Financial Crunch, I would still be a FIATian for 2 or 3 more years, and before I go for it, just a scoop news about Fiat's miniSUV is enough for me to wait for it, as long as it comes.

So my verdict for Duster is Why Not ? since there is no such thing from Fiat in India.

After all of these going in my mind, I sat into my Punto and felt Home Sweet Home.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    By the looks, I really liked it. But, about performance/Handling/Ride/Steering it cannot match the current Fiats. If you are a speed lover and have done insane speeds in your Punto/Linea, you should forgot about that once you get this Duster. The max. it can be capable of doing may be 150-160 kmph.

Last but not the least, some of the Technical Engineers (who worked with the Duster project) at Renault, Chennai own Fiat Punto. Don't ask me Who/How I know. I can't reveal anything more on this :).

@srida - Initially I thought that you have booked the Duster after seeing the title of your post :D. Anyway, I am sensing that you may be the first person in TFI to get the Renault Duster.
  7. If so, then can I bring the Duster for the TFI meet :confused: ?
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Of course. You can bring the Jopasu Duster with your Fiat for our TFI Meets :D.
    3 people like this.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I will prefer to buy Ford Ecosport instead of buying FIAT 500x or Renault Duster, styling of Ford Ecosport is amazing than the 500x and Duster.

The price factor also playes important role. Why should some will pay near about 14 lakh if you are getting our own Mahindra XUV500 W6 and it is 7 seater as well.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Exactly, this is what my argument is, as well. The real top-end Duster in Chennai costs Rs. 13.71L OTR. Spend another Rs. 36k and get a XUV500 W6 which costs 14.07L OTR in Chennai.

Note:- The bare bone and base 85bhp version of Duster is 9.4L OTR in Chennai. This is the amount I paid to get my Linea MJD Epack :).
    1 person likes this.