1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Renault Duster

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by ramjn, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Today, I received a preview ad from Renault and here it is.

The ad is good. But, Renault need not apologize to Linea owners :D.

Duster is most probably slated to be launched on July 4th.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Duster is going to be a super dooper hit,just like the qualis.
    Advance wishes Renault,you are trying what other European manufacturers like Fiat are not trying.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I don't know if it would really be a hit like the qualis.
    Reasons -
    1. It is a 5 seater. A new segment for India (let us forget Premier Rio please).
    2. Pricing will be a key factor. From the information I have, the 110 bhp topend Duster may cost almost 12 to 12.5 L OTR in Chennai.

For the above 2 reasons, our member Sathya stretched his budget by 1.5L and now he is owning XUV 500 W6 which is much more powerful then Duster and can easily fit in 7 people when it is required.

It can be a replacement option for Sedans but not for any of the existing SUV's. As you see the ad, they are clearly targeting Sedan buyers.
  4. @ Bala. Fiat is trying nothing as of now. Other europeans are atleast trying something if not like Renault. I saw 2 Dusters camouflaged on a GST road. All my friends were looking at it mouth wide opened. They asked me what car this is and stuffs. Finally one of my friend asked me "Does your FIAT have anything like this car ?". I was not sure what to answer. I told them, Fiat is developing a mini SUV based on Fiat 500 and few Jeep model are gonna be brought to India. They understood I had no solid answer and said anyway this is also your kinda car, a European and then changed the topic. :(
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes,Ramjn,but Indians like ugly cars(eg.old Santro),also the base diesel version is expected to start around 8 Lakh Rupees,which would sell well,dethrowning Scorpio and Tavera too
  6. Loki

Loki

This and the Ford Ecosport (upcoming) should do good numbers initially. Fiat can probably bring in the sedici as competition !!
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Does Renault have a Hatch like a Punto? Don't tell me Pulse. I will lose my pulse then.
    Does Renault have a sedan like Linea and T-Jet+?

We should be happy of what we have got. No need to compare Apples with Oranges.

From what I got to know about the Duster, the interiors are pathetic and unimpressive like the old Logan. And as I said earlier, who would buy a top end Duster for 12.5L when XUV is available for 14 with much more features, much more powerful engine and very importantly a 7 seater.

@Bala. Scorpio and Tavera will sell as usual. They won't have any competition from Duster. This being a 5 seater, clearly the sedan buyers may tilt towards this 5 seater SUV which is new for India.
    3 people like this.
  8. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I was just reading a couple of reviews of the Duster in Autocar and i remember seeing that the 108 PS diesel engine was quicker than the XUV500. I think the 85PS Diesel engine will be the car which will bring in the volumes for Renault as it should be priced around 10 lakhs and be pretty fuel efficient.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    May be. But, 85 bhp version will not be quicker as the 110 bhp version. Duster 110 may be quicker than XUV but what about the top speed? The max Duster can achieve is 170ish. Where as XUV can easily hit the double ton.
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    whatever you brag about XUV, it is after all from Mahindra. :p
    2 people like this.