1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Removing Tar

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by arunk, Jan 12, 2012.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But I have heard that using spirits/petrol/kerosene affects the clear coat of the paint.
  2. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Paddle shifter is correct. Do not use them..
  3. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    You can also use rubbing compound to remove tar.
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

@nitinkumardba: Great! can you share more details about this degreaser? Price, brand\product name \ avilability etc.

@arunk: diesel, kerosene, rubbing compound etc are shortcuts - to remove tar and to reduce the life of your glossy paint. Do stay away from them. Please do a search before you post the queries which we have discussed many times. I am sure there are older threads discussing the same issue.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I used Petrol
  6. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

As I remember , its a product from Akzo Nobel. Price should be around Rs 350 per 500 ml. You can find this product from dealers and shops like Car Nation. Or get in touch with Akzo Nobel.
  7. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    +1. I tried removing tar spots on my BNW Punto by using Diesel. Ended up damaging the clear coat. When I run my hand over places where diesel was applied I can feel some roughness. Eventually, the car was washed at A.S.S as part of 1st service and tar spots were all gone.

Sorry for bumping up a three month old thread but wanted to make this point as I see this tip being given across forum. Use diesel only inside the tank:p
    1 person likes this.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Tar particles are stuck on my windscreen. As there is no risk of damaging paint, can i use Kerosene or Diesel to remove these spots? Any insights?
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Kerosene can remove tar. Could try nail polish remover too, which is easily available. :)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thank you Thulasi. Massive relief. Was thinking where and how i would source Kerosene!