1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Remap - Code6 for my Linea

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by harryaviator, Jul 9, 2015.

1. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    after a thorough and thoughtful process, and considering various reviews as well as first hand driving experiences, I have decided to get my Linea remapped by code6.
    Have taken the appointment for tomorrow. will update you with all the details asap!
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Good for your car. :)

Let us know your experience with the driving after the remap.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @harryaviator Just the remap or going for intake, exhaust, everything?
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @harryaviator

We would be looking forward for a detailed post on the considerations part too in addition to the pros and cons of the code6 in terms of ease of usage, cost etc
  5. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    Car

A well maintained Linea 1.3 MJD(2011 Nov), with 45400 on the odo. Oil changes have always been at 7000-9000km, if not lesser. A very trustworthy mate, who had never given me any trouble, though, I always kept yearning for more from her.

Situation

Driveability – Let’s be honest and accept the fact (with a lump in your throat or any ways) that, it sucks! The short first and second always used to feel as if somebody is holding the engine by her throat and not letting her growl.

Power – Its never been a major issue as the car always had enough juice when kept in the correct rev range and you knew how to drive (that was always my thought process, until the remap!). Though a bit sluggish, she never struggled anywhere.

Turbo Lag – Been always there, but you could always keep it above the required RPM levels and not be affected by it.

Refinement – This is one thing that always used to bug me. The distinct clatter and throttle response could be a lot better than what was being provided.

Remap or not – As a sedate driver, I was sure, I wasn’t going to redline the rpm in each gear for shifts. Hence the dilemma of whether to Remap or not. Gave a lot of thought process, about an year and research (including the numerous reviews on different cars that have been remapped) before I took the plunge. I seriously needed the remap, post driving my wifes Fabia, that was rev happy and well refined, On the same levels as that of Palio. It became a necessity, when, even my wife started complaining about the driveability.

Considerations/contenders

1. Wolf Moto – this was the first one to be considered and rightfully for all the known reasons. Did a test drive on a Wolf’d Linea, and was totally sold on the feature of switchable maps. Drove mostly on map 3 (City and Highway) and a bit on map 4(Highway, the bad arse one). Thoroughly pleased and excited and was 90% sure of taking the reliable and trustworthy wolf’ as everyone else did. The only sore point being the fact that, apart from the novelty factor, nobody ever used anything other than one map where they were most comfortable with. Nobody using wolf ever stopped the car while driving, changed the map and went off again. Was a bit cumbersome for my liking.

2. Tune-O-tronics – Poor support in Kochi and some negative marketing gimmick about fellow remappers kept me away from T-o-T.

3. UD motor X – Delhi based, very good, but they were charging more than 30 k for a remap(wasn’t a value for money proposition for me)

4. Viezu – Never heard of these guys before the research part, so was never inclined. Found that, they were here a few years ago, but had to leave because of lack of profit/ customers. They were offering remaps for 12-12.5 k, so was definitely a cheap option. But remapping is done by people sitting at UK and these guys here just flash your ECU.

5. Code 6 – Was under consideration, but was still inclined towards wolf before I test drove their Fiesta 1.5. The level of knowledge displayed by the tuners were also at par/ if not more to that of Wolf. Word of mouth opinions and reviews of code 6 were also really good. What also impressed me was the level of honesty. Refinement and power were their USP, and budget wise, they were on par with Wolf. What impressed me even further was the fact that, after enquiry of the remap potential of the car, Mr Gino of Code 6 patiently heard everything, took all details of the car including enquiry on its service history, timing chain replacement schedule, kind of oil being used from brand new to the current odo reading (there was a moment when i thought, is he trying a smart way to avoid doing the remap asking for all the details like this). With the conversation going for more that 15-20 minutes, he said, Hang on, let me come over, see the car, drive it around and let you know of the potential. Fixed up an appointment after a couple of days and in the meanwhile, drove a punto 90 hp that was remapped by code 6. Was totally sold on the refinement part and power delivery. Really liked the way the power was coming through and I would put this map above map 3 of wolf and a notch below that of map 4. I also asked about switchable maps feasibility, for which the answer was negative, and a pointer in lines with my apprehension of Wolf wherein, people had to stop the car, change over the map and wait for close to 100-150 km of driving to unlock the true potential of each map (by which time the individual would have reached his destination). Additionally, he said, Code 6 is giving you a life time support for the car, if u want any tweaking prior going anywhere, you can get it done for free, any number of times. And that was it, it’s GOING to be Code6 for my linea

Head said – wolf

Pros – switchable maps
    Cons – switchable maps(initially a novelty factor, but not of much use later on, with people sticking to one map)

Heart said – Code6

Pros – Refinement, and one map, tuned to your requirement based on the condition of your car. Professional tuners with facility for stage 2 and stage 3 mods.

Cons – Going against the general flow.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 11, 2015 ---
    Process of getting remapped

Appointment was taken for the 10th of July at 1500. At 1445 I get a call from Gino, waiting below my building for the inspection of my car. Reason – people get remaps done as they are not interested in wasting their time either in traffic or with turbo lag.

Vehicle inspection

Gino had personally come over from code6 to do the assessment and check feasibility. A lot of queries were asked to me regarding the service history of the car, last oil change, timing belt replacement, type of airfilter being used and so on. He additionally did a compression check of the engine and checked for the health of Turbo, checked my knowledge on whether I idle the car for at least a minute prior to switching off everytime, to which I replied affirmative. He also enquired about my gear shift patterns, rpm generally maintained etc and checked for any oil seepage near the intercooler, any excess smoke…

Report – engine is in excellent condition.

IMG-20150710-WA0004.jpg IMG-20150710-WA0005.jpg
    inspection in progress

Thereafter, he took the ECU readings and started straight with the coding process. Said it will take about 30 minutes to custom code and thereafter 4-5 minutes to flash and remap. Took specific requirements like my specific need for low end torque, EGR deletion etc. and true to his words, he did the complete work in 30 minutes and another 5 minutes to flash the ECU and give the new maps. Voila! Workdone.
    IMG-20150710-WA0006.jpg IMG-20150710-WA0007.jpg IMG-20150710-WA0009.jpg IMG-20150710-WA0010.jpg
    ecu readings being taken and remap in progress

Post remap experience

The first and obvious change that was noticeable straight away was how refined the engine sounded. Gone was the typical diesel clatter, now purring like a three pot petrol motor. The first drive post the remap was something that words cannot describe. A hell lot of hidden torque and HP’s were unlocked from god knows where, that, a simple tap of the accelerator and the car was eager to leap forward. Rev limiters were removed fro 2-5th gears and optimised for the 1st gear. The car has become a hell lot more free revving and brings about a wide grin every time I step on the accelerator. The acceleration is to be experienced to be believed. The power delivery is extremely linear and the amount of torque being available on tap is definitely worth having. Inclines were negated on the fifth gear with no fuss, minimal gear changes in traffic and all this was done with 03 people onboard. Refined and free revving engine and I wish, Fiat takes a lesson out of this gives everybody the pleasure of driving that I am experiencing as of now. Was told to drive around for close to 150 km for the map to set in in the memory and thereafter call for further tweaking.
    WP_20150710_001.jpg WP_20150710_002.jpg
    Some additional goody points

1. Base map for the remap by code6 is from the Euro-Spec Linea with custom codes inserted as necessary.

2. 24 hrs customer support availability. Even by night

3. Honesty of the crew and punctuality.

4. Tie up of Code6 with Ford and Mahindra showrooms in Kochi and Bangalore that ensures that the warranty/ claims of remapped cars are not rejected.

5. Availability of stage 2 mods, free EGR blanking plate in addition to soft egr deletion.

6. Lifetime support for maps
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Anirudh, ghodlur, Murphy_Fiat and 7 others like this.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for sharing the update. Quite detailed. Glad that you are loving the new experience of remap

Are you sure about point # 4. Warranty is provided by all manufacturer and per that if ECU is remapped, warranty is void, absolutely no exception worldwide. I guess what they meant is that with some dealers they have a tie up and these dealer will not report a ECU remap which would mean the warranty is intact. But incase the ECU goes Kaput and it is sent for scanning to the ECU maker then surely the warranty is void. No tie-up with any dealer can save the warranty. But anyway they still dont have a tie up with any Fiat dealer so this point is not really a goody point.

On Point 5, whats the benefit of EGR blanking plate when EGR is soft deleted ? Is it to avoid any deposit at the valve entry ? I would still suggest not to go for it as this hardware addition will be visible and can void your warranty for good

Lifetime support is also provided by Wolf team. Did you check for feasibility of down-pipe and cat con removal ? They have done the same in a Polo and Vento where the removal of cat con can be reversed in case of giving it for service :)
    ghodlur likes this.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Fantastic. Good to know that your car is red hot fast on the highways. I bet Code 6 has remap for performance. Have gone through their threads in detail and had chat with Anoop/Rahul of Code 6. Few queries.

How is the torque in 2nd/3rd/4th gears?
    How is the smoothness of engine sound when all windows closed above 80kmph
    How is the punch below 2000 rpm and above 3000 rpm
    Are the Rail pressure/throttle response/EGT within the factory threshold
    Any change in mileage figures
    How does it drive in ghats/hairpin bends with 4 people loaded
    Do you observe any loss of power/response from 1500 rpm and above
    What is the probable cost of Decat and down-pipe
    Since Linea has VGT, probably its better tuned. Not sure of FGT 76 BHP

Enjoi your beloved mighty Linea unleashed!
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    How is the torque in 2nd/3rd/4th gears?
    low end torque was what i had asked for. there is a massive increase in low end as well as mid range. havent gone much above 3500 to give an absolute answer. but for sure, gear shifts have reduced a hell lot and able to go as low as 1300-1400 rpm without the clatter associated at those levels in stock
    How is the smoothness of engine sound when all windows closed above 80kmph
    Smoothness is an area where there has been maximum change. NVH with windows rolled up and the rough vibrations that we used to get are no more there.
    How is the punch below 2000 rpm and above 3000 rpm
    You need to drive to experience it.. absolute pleasure :D
    Are the Rail pressure/throttle response/EGT within the factory threshold
    yes. had checked with the laptop hooked up and pushed on all gears to verify the same. Rev limiters are kept in 1st and 2nd gears to optimise the same
    Any change in mileage figures
    Too early to say. will get back to you asap
    How does it drive in ghats/hairpin bends with 4 people loaded
    Torque has gone up much beyond my expectations. havent been able to try it out till now.
    Do you observe any loss of power/response from 1500 rpm and above
    No. infact, it has increased
    What is the probable cost of Decat and down-pipe
    they cost 8k as quoted by code6, pure stainless steel
    Since Linea has VGT, probably its better tuned. Not sure of FGT 76 BHP
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. jagdeesh

jagdeesh Timido

kakinada
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    could you please give Address and Phone number of Code 6 people.
    I live in Andhrapradesh.
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    It's available online. Just search for code6. Anyways, will post the address n phone numbers for everyone's use