1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Regarding revving the engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Cruze, Figo BS4, Fiesta Classic BS4 are some cars which have DPF in India.
  3. Only god can save the souls of those who brought these cars and use adulterated fuel!!
    1 person likes this.
  4. I remember reading the same in Ford Figo's small manual book that rev the engine @ 3000rpm for 30 sec once a week(or month). I don't remember the exact gap and the reason written for it as I have lost the manual.

Did the same once in my Dzire ZDi and found some black liquid coming out of tail-pipe.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Does the above discussions about removing carbon applicable for petrol vehicles?
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    They have it and still they smoke badly.

Well there is a provision of DPF regeneration in FIAT MJDs that are fitted with DPF in europe.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Vijay bhai, you sure these cars have DPF's??

I'm unable to digest that the Fiesta Classic & Figo has DPF. :???:
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

My take on Revving diesel engines,
    Turbo of MJD's:The turbo starts@1700 RPM, a better shove@2500 RPM & absolutely takes off@3200 RPM.

For sedate drive & fuel efficiency point of view:

Shift into 2nd gear@15 km/hr, Revv it till 2200-2400 RPM & change the gear to 3rd. The Odometer will fall back to 1700 RPM in 3rd. Revv it again till 2200-2400 RPM & handover to 4th. Similarly Rev till 2200-2400 RPM & handover it to 5th@1700 RPM@65 km/hr. You FE will always be above 20 km/ltr & you will cruise decently.
    Outcome: Stay in that 1st & initial 2nd turbo band for max balance between FE & performance.

Spirited driving:
    It won't yield much at least for the first 4 Gears in diesel engines. Handover it to 2nd gear@2200 RPM & Rev. up-to 4000 RPM in 2nd gear. Handover to 3rd@3200 RPM & it will go violently. Revv it till 4000 RPM & handover it to 4th@3200 RPM.
    Same in 4th & handover to 5th@3200 RPM. Revv. it to 5200 RPM till fuel cuts off. It would extract the best performance out of your car IMO.

Performance for Petrol: Performance extraction is standard for all petrols. Revv. it to 5500 RPM in very gear except 1st. Just use 1st to gain initial momentum. Once into 5th gear, Revv it to red line.

For sedate drive, haven't driven Punto petrol so can't explain in terms of RPMs.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i too heard somewhere that these cars have DPF, how else will they pollute less? 2valves per cylinder engine lol :)
    just kidding.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Your reasoning is spot on Amit. Dinosaur-age single cam + 8 valves would definitely need some serious help from the emission limiting stuff like catalysts and DPF's.

Ford should've spent that money on upgrading the valvetrain atleast! :lol: