1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Red Beauty - Owning Experience

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by ravimathi, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My beauty dressed in Exotic Red is a Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic. Driven close to 15000 kms and every kilometer driven is fun, exciting and a moment to be remembered. After reading all unique experiences, I wanted to share mine which is also very unique like our cars.

Here it goes..

It all started a year back when me and my wife wanted to present a car to ourselves as our wedding gift.
    I had no other car in my mind other than Fiat Punto. I loved this Italian hatch from the day of its launch and I always admired the brilliance of Guigiaro's magical lines and strokes. My wife also loved this car after we did our only test drive.

As expected, family and friends advised to not go for a fiat car and suggested to buy Swift or i20.
    But I didn't want a car for its resale value or its brand name with great service network. Its our first car and all we wanted was the car we love.

Once it was decided, I wanted to go for Dynamic because of the ABS and within my budget. The color we liked is Exotic Red.

At that time, Fiat was giving 1 lakh rupees discount for selected cars (mostly 2013 makes). We thought of using that offer and visited a Fiat showroom in bangalore in February, 2014 and almost finalized a deal. The car was 2013 December VIN and they were giving 1 lakh discount + insurance free. I wanted to see the car in the stock yard before closing the deal and went to the stock yard after many requests. The car was washed and kept clean for our visit. The odo on the car was showing 220 kms and there was a little paint patch in the side and so I rejected the offer though the sales guy was repeatedly saying there was no paint work done in the stock yard and its from the manufaturing plant only.

In the late March, I visited the Fiat Cafe in Domlur, Bangalore. The sales guy Mr. Prasath told me about a car in their stock yard which was a February 2014 make and kept in the stock yard for 20 days. Before I ask him, he himself suggested to visit the car in their stock yard which was in Whitefield. Me and my wife went there immediately with loads of excitement and hoping that we would not get disappointed again. There we saw our beauty for the first time and immediately fallen in love! The odo was showing H30 kms which confirmed that it was not driven. The paint and body finish looked flawless and the dashboard finish was ok. Checked the VIN and it was feb 2014 make as mentioned.

I was very happy with the car and the deal was 50K cash offer + free RSA + mats + 5000 Corporate offer + Fiat parking sensor + free insurance. I paid the advance amount 50k the very next day and the delivery after registration was scheduled for 9th April, a special day.

On April 9th, 2014, me and my wife went to Fiat Cafe straight from our office in the evening. As promised the car was made ready with KHT motors ribbon tied around and it was stunning in the fading evening sun. We had a chat with the sales guy prasath who was very cooperative through out the process. After explaining the car features, he presented the car key, Ganesh Idol and a car freshener. We presented him a nice Parker pen as a token of appreciation and left the Fiat Cafe with all smile owning the beauty :) :)

IMG_20140411_191706992.jpg

On the 1st Week:

It was always fun taking the car to office and speaking about its stellar build and timeless design to all friends and exhibiting them the car.

First 1500 Kms:

All driven within bangalore. Never crossed 80 kmph. In the beginning I was finding it difficult to apply clutch wearling shoes because of the dead pedal.
    Despite a significant lag under 2k rpm, the short ratios of first and second gears take care of most bumper to bumper situations with a smile. The third gear is good if you have a moving traffic. Car mileage was bit on the lower side giving around 12 kmpl.

There were swirl marks on the car because of our watchman who used to clean the car daily with some hard cloth. So did paint protection in 3M car care, JP Nagar which removed the existing swirl as well. purchased paint protection package which will give paint protection coating 3 times in a year. I got jopasu duster for daily cleaning. It is doing its job really good.

First long trip:

Our first long drive was to our home town Dindigul some 380 kms from Bangalore. It was really a happy driving and the travel was so smooth and effortless.No match for its high speed stability and steering response. Loads of confidence while taking corners.I touched 120-140 kmph constantly and we reached Dindigul in 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Next drive was to Coimbatore from Dindigul to our aunt's home and back to Dindigul. Compared to Bangalore - Dindigul, drive to Coimbatore from Dindigul was different as there were no dividers and road was not that great with potholes after monsoon rain. But still it was fun as our car absorbed most bumps at high speeds.
    Having not enough space for water bottles was a problem in the long drives.

We visited our farm in the village and our beauty with its good ground clearance made the trip awesome and memorable.

IMG_5069.JPG

First Service:

After that trip of around 2000 kms, we were back to bangalore. I started noticing some sound from the front portion of the car whenever I applied brakes. At the sametime I covered 5000 kms, so it was time for my first service. I went to Vecto Motors as it is closer to my house and like Fiat Cafe, Vecto motors guys were also good and patiently listening to my complaints. I explained him about that sound in brakes and mileage I am getting. The service was Ok. I was not hearing the noise while applying brakes after service. He also suggested about underbody coat for rust which costed around 2k.

Leather Upholstery:

Though the seat fabric was good, we felt a complete black leather seats with red stitch is what would complement our beauty's Exotic Red. I started looking for options and decided to go for original leather.

After reading different user experiences, finalized Pensee Leathers, Bangalore for the upholstery. As we already decided the design and color, it was only the cost estimate discussions pending. The idea was to have Leather for the front portion of all seats. The other side of the seat would be with automotive leather. Leather for steering wheel and hand brake. It all costed 22k. The finish and quality of leather and stitching looks good and our beauty really looks stunning with black leather upholstery. Steering wheel grip is really superb after adding the leather. Feels good in long drives.

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Tyre maintenance:

I always keep the tyre pressure as suggested in the manual. Never taken for a drive without correcting the tyre pressures and I am happy with the industry fitted JK tyres though there is some road noise at high speed. Braking is ok.
    I did balancing and tyre rotation after 10000 kms in Sai Iyengar And Sons, Bannerghatta road. Their service is good. Thinking to upgrade the tyres sometime soon and will share the experience.

So far its a very happy experience and enjoyed every bit of it.

I am getting 16 kmpl in highway and 14 kmpl in bangalore. I am hearing some sound from the windows while moving the glass up and down in the driver's side. Need to check brakes again. other than that everything is good. With close to 15000kms driven, its time for my second service. Will update my future experiences.

Summary of what I likes and what I don't based on my experience:

A head turner. You even cannot move without seeing your car again after parking it.
    Exceptional high speed dynamics.
    ABS in Dynamic.
    Good A/c and comfortable seats with height adjustment option.
    Build quality.
    Good Ground clearance. Will be handy if you drive in village roads.
    The ride. Good suspension system absorbs bumps and potholes with precision.

don't likes:
    Not enough bottle holders
    No USB/ Auxillary input jack in audio system.
    Rear seats legroom (But manageable)
    Engine noise in high speeds

Thanks,
    Ravi
    Raaz, varunrtr, Murphy_Fiat and 6 others like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @ravimathi

Hi there, you have a proper Italian-red beauty of a car, just the colour for the Punto, imo!

Glad to hear of your overall pleasure and satisfaction with it/him?/her?;), which you've rendered well in your inaugural post.

Enjoy, cheers, keep posting!
  3. Dr. Fixated

Dr. Fixated Novizio

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    The leather work looks thoroughly good!
  4. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @ravimathi for the red hot wine!! Welcome to the Tfi !
    The seat covers are looking exceptionally fine.
    Happy mile munching :)
  6. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Second Service:

I did my second service in vecto motors two weeks back. Odo reading 14775 kms. I complained about rattle sound from doors and as per second service actions mentioned in fiat hand book, service guy suggested to replace oil, air and fuel filters and fill engine oil. The estimated amount was 7000 INR. I left the car and in the afternoon I got a call from the service guy saying the brake pads need to be replaced every year and he is replacing. I asked him why was it not mentioned in the estimate and then saying it to be replaced annually. He was saying its wear and tear component and its worn out in my car. I doubted him initially but agreed. With brake pads the total bill was around 10366 INR and its OK. But was extremely disappointed when he gave me the old brake pads. It was not at all worn out as he claimed over the phone. Surely in good shape and I asked him about it for which he said its wear and tear part and they are replacing annually for all customers so that they need not worry till the next service in a year. I learnt that from next time, I should be there all the day till servicing is done instead of agreeing everything phone.
    IMG_4089.JPG
    IMG_4091.JPG
    Raaz and prabhjot like this.
  8. maheshrt

maheshrt Timido

chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Your red beauty is damn hot :) Congrats.
    Leather work is also good. I have noticed some sound coming from my friend's car after changing the seat cover. Is it coming for you?
    --- Double Post Merged, May 30, 2015 ---
    @ravimathi btw i too thinking to add leather finish. thats y asked about it. any more information about seat cover is also welcome
  9. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks..yes you ll get sound if its not properly stitched. For me too, some sound in bumpy ride is there but not much to worry. Its kind of OK. Go for leather if budget is not an issue.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @ravimathi - That's lovely looking seats.

Guys looking for seats, save up and get genuine leather seats (1.5mm thickness) as this will surely be pricey.