1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Reccomendations for the new buyers

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by shakesin, Jun 17, 2010.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hey Fellas,

Not sure if PUG was there when i bought mine, however i did read the reviews by the owners in TBHP. Im 6ft 3', and this is the only hatchback that gave me space to spread myself :car .
    This Thread is dedicated to all the new buyers, so punters please share your opinion.

This one is for all the active, dynamic and emotion buyers.
    -upgrading to the emotion pack wheels: will give you extra clearance and grip on road.
    -FE is as low as 10kmpl(1.4), however you can add 2 kms if you drive carefully, I just loved the sound of the car, couldn't stop showing off that sound, now im kinda sobered down, and i watch my right foot, now i get up-to 12kmpl(city wo a/c).
    -The bonnet is invisible from the driving seat, if your not used to driving such cars, be extra careful(avoid minor scratches) while parking and at heavy traffic, it takes a while to get used to it.
    -The foot mats that came along the car doesn't feel great, do your homework on what kind you looking for, and try negotiating with the dealer to pay extra and get them exchanged for better ones.

Now lets hear from the masters.
    shake
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    10kmpl is not bad at all for a car weighing over 1.1 Tons with a 1.4 L petrol engine. I believe the earlier Swift with a 1.3L engine weighing over a 100kgs less then Punto returned similar figures yet nobody complained about it. I wonder why 10kmpl from a Maruti or Hyundai is considered fabulous while the same from Fiat, Ford or GM considered bad!

Bonnet of none of the cars are visible nowadays. I have a SX4 and with it's tall dimensions, I still can't see the bonnet. However, I personally, never missed the 'not being able to see the bonnet' part in any car. I had a Matiz , Santro and Palio S10 - couldn't see the bonnet in any of them and never realised it too.
  3. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    The biggest thing one should remember is, what reduces FE is the constant braking and accelerating. I try to keep my driving as smooth as possible and try to use the brakes as less frequently as possible. Another trick is to use AC only after a speed of 70km/hr (and enjoy wind below this speed). Lastly, try to drive at the optimum speed (70 km/hr) for best FE.
  4. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There you said it all, you were already used to it, so it doesn't make a difference, i felt it as i had been driving ford ikon.
    And i didn't mean the FE is bad, before i picked the car i was told the FE is 12 in city, i always deduct 2kms, as they all test it under ideal conditions.
    Yes keeping it under 80 really helps, but on the highways, its really a challenging job.
    shake
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    [10kmpl is not bad at all for a car weighing over 1.1 Tons with a 1.4 L petrol engine. I believe the earlier Swift with a 1.3L engine weighing over a 100kgs less then Punto returned similar figures yet nobody complained about it. I wonder why 10kmpl from a Maruti or Hyundai is considered fabulous while the same from Fiat, Ford or GM considered bad!]

i fully agree with amit.
  6. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit i agree with your completely..... Its only when it comes to Fiat cars ppl crib abt FE and interiors.... What happens to the Figo... the interiors are pathetic...
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Andy,

When the numbers happen the microscope will disapear. Its like the story of the black sheep . I remember how my friend also decided to buy the Punto at the same time as me, but at the last moment took the safe route and bought the Swift VDI. For the last eleven months he has been going to the maruti service to have a problem with the A/c attended and it is yet to be solved. He is right now trying out another service centre !. Well nobody blames maruti quality for it. Its kind of routine stuff that may happen to a car but should never happen to a FIAT car !!:)

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I feel Maruti service is over hyped. I have a SX4 and find nothing great about Maruti service. No matter what car you have, everything is great till you don't have any problems with your car. When a problem starts, that's when the real colours come out and it's here that Maruti is as good or as bad as others.

When I complained about issues I had with my SX4 (well documented on another forum) no body spoke about niggling issues then. The issues I wrote about resulted in a number of other owners reporting on the same issues. My Punto had a loose engine mount nut and all hell broke loose with questions raised over PDI quality and QC at Fiat's plant. SX4 till today comes with a faulty steering - the car darts left and right never straight the moment you leave the steering! - but nobody dare raise his voice against it. When I do, dealers teach me how to drive!

Talking of PDI's that people blast Fiat dealers about, my SX4 came with a steering wheel that was off centered and a barely functioning hand brake! Now if anyone had attempted to do a PDI these would be the things noticed the fastest but well it's the best dealers in the country we are talking about. They can't goof up.

The 40,000kms service on my SX4 cost me over Rs.9,000. I put up the invoice openly and not a sinlge comment came in about expensive service costs.

At 40K the dealer did a radiator flush. At 50K he recommended doing it again! When I told him it has been done at 40K mark, he said we need to do it again as Maruti suggests the same! Amazing that all systems have to flushed every 10,000kms!
  9. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    amit i totally agree with u. ppl always crib about Fiat even if they r getting a worst deal from other companies. Fiat is a much better car than the rest in the market which ppl dont like to except.
  10. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Abdul u stated it right... Also abt Maruti they have their name in the market and even if there is a flaw they dont even bother to take such things up and ever does ne one crib abt it.. But if its a FIAT OMG its hyped to the core as if its a crime buys a fiat car in India...
    I hate such people diffrentiating other brands with Fiat..
    According to me Fiat stands at a seperate stand alltogether... No other brands in its class can even beat it....
    Even i was eyeing the Swift VDI ABS before checking out the punto. But when i drove the Punto my decision changed in minutes when i got off the Punto and finally decided to Book it immediately irrespective of what the discounts offered and what people said abt FIAT... I went by my decision alltogether and even now there are some ppl who say u got a FIAT... wooh.. I feel like slaping them but then tell them lets drive a fiat and u may have a diff opinion on it later on...