1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Recall for Brake Booster replacement.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vj_v1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

@Kedar - I tried to get as much info i could from the Workshop controller but this is all i have. Not all Punto's are affected and this is not specific to 90 HP's and also not specific to most recently manufactured ones as well. My dealer replaced boosters in a total of 3 cars only and he says only these 3 got the wrong booster's.

The only thing you could do is bug your dealer and see if he has any info. I suppose anyone else wouldn't be able to help you in this case.

Regarding the front axle's i have no idea, as Italia suggested Fiat must be able to open up or provide some kind of list. But from what i understand FIAT does not want to declare any of this officially and advertise any of these replacement and ruin their reputation (If at all any of it is still left).
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Agreed, but let me give you one example.

my relatives and friends own some foundries and machine shops. they are oem vendors for tata, mahindra, volvo etc. the same company supplies parts to diff auto manufacturers and they are individually responsible for the quality of parts procured.

so if say mahindra parts are failing doesnt mean tata vendors are responsible - or tata is to be held or blamed anywhere.

even in case of tata motors maval foundry - it supplies to tata motors, spicer india, dana etc etc. so all these tata sister companies are independant entities.

so when Fiat gives a vendor code and starts procuring parts , fiat team gives the design, gets the pilot lot manufactured, tests it, approves it and then the vendor starts manufacturing in bulk.

so end to end FIAT IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE.

so in the TATA Fiasco case its the fiat approved and developed part that is failing in quality which again is fiat responsibility the very next to the vendor.

similar wiper reservoirs fitted in mahindra dont fail because they have given better design and might be they have strict quality check.

So the moral of the story is - " If parts in Fiat cars fail, we cannot pull in TATA or blame TATA even distantly"
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Agreed that design & specs are given by Fiat. However, the vendors are common & mostly are existing Tata vendors. If you see, since very beginning of Fiat's comeback there are certain similarities between Tata & Fiat in terms of Quality, niggles, QC etc. Tata is always known as VFM. This brings with itself small niggles, panel gaps, few quality issues etc etc. Fiat's come back also was on similar lines - Linea was a total VFM package. However, it came with the same combination of small niggles, quality issues in plastics, panel gaps etc. This was never the case with Fiat earlier during days of Palio, Uno etc so I read. However, Fiat can not get away as its they who have "chosen" it. And still its such VFM products that such small issues are generally accepted by market albeit hesitantly (that's one philosophy of Pricing & Positioning).

I'm sure that if not for partnership with Tata, Fiat would have different vendors. However, in that case we may not have such VFM pricing. Also, for Fiat to develop vendors would have taken more time & effort. This is where Tata's expertise comes in handy to increase localisation to reduce price.
  4. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    We cannot just blame Indian vendors or Tata as issues are there in European models also. Please check this video on you tube (2.35).

kiran
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Its not the only factor though its one of the factors coupled with Fiat's QC & other factors.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I would not blame Tata for all the QC issues. Fiat as a company needs more mature quality processes to ensure that their products do not have such issues. As of now it appears that quality processes in Fiat are not mature enough to prevent these recalls/niggles.
  7. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    If you see the pics posted by Vj_V1 you will notice that the part is imported and not locally made. It fits for Lancia and Alfa Romeo as well.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Even if Fiat chooses other vendors it wont help.
    the vendors who supply to TATA are one of the best OEM manufactureres. State of art foundries and fully CNC, VMC and SPM equipped machine shops. Same vendors supply parts to Volkswagen, Volvo and some even to Mercedes. not even these they export parts worldwide.

Quality is directly proportional to design, use of materials, processeses carried out to produce the part, quality control of the part(both at vendors side as well as buyers side) and last but not least the Price paid for the part.
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    FIAT should really rethink about its suppliers now.Currently they are goin the TATA way,thats why there are so many niggles in their car.What if a owner is not informed about the upgrade and then one day the part gives up on road.Who is responsible for that??
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    There was a comment for this video in youtube - "if rain comes in from the window.. just close it proper u s****d c**t". hehe .... I thought this a QC issue with the Toyota badged Etios. My car has done more than half of its mileage in worst of rains and touch wood, no water inside .... Touch wood again.