1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Recall for Brake Booster replacement.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vj_v1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    What i understand from the service desk gal is that they are replacing front axils to increase the height in front. Sounded weird to me but she said it has yet not started, they just received part yesterday and they are waiting for fiat technicians to come in and give training for same.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Replaced.

Got the brake booster replaced today. About 2 hrs job if done quickly, might take 4 hrs if the mechanic is lazy, Since the whole pedal system needs to be pulled out from under the steering and a lots of tubes etc from under the hood. Pics of part below.

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

The old Silver part was retained- may be because its a pain to remove from under the hood. Only the black cylinder was changed.

The Work Shop Controller gave me the following reasoning for the replacement. This cylinder is part of a vacuum pump which amplifies the pressure to the breaking system when we press the pedal. The previous cylinder that got into my car had capacity lower that it was supposed to have. He actually showed me something practically by pumping the pedal and releasing it in intervals of 1 sec, at the end of 3 pumps the pedal becomes hard which means there is no more vacuum. The replacement cylinder hence has more capacity to make the breaking more effective.

Physically the size of the new and the old cylinder was identical, don't know what changed internally.

On the other hand, i thought only lorries needed pumping of the brake pedal to make the braking effective. I would normally press the pedal and hold it there until the car stops and haven't had any issues doing so, thats how ABS based braking systems are supposed to be used IMO.

He informed a total of 3 punto's got the replacement (2 others were already replaced), i asked if they were the most recently manufactured ones, he said the ones manufactured after January. Don't know whats the logic and how these 3 cars got lower capacity cylinder's. (Was it only 90 HP? No, he said a 75 HP got a replacement too)

Conclusion- IMO there is not reason to panic. if your car is effected, fiat would be good enough to replace yours too i guess. And the most important part, i did 4600 Kms in my odd 1.5 month of ownership with a couple of long drives including some ghat sections, i never felt the brake was ineffective before the replacement. Drove 30 Kms after the replacement, do not feel any major difference.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. What they are saying is, the capacity of the vacuum chamber might be slightly greater. You will see no difference at all as the earlier one was holding up vacuum well and you might notice the time difference if you drain the system of vacuum by multiple pumping of the brake pedal without giving the system a chance to replenish it's reserve

My 6 year Palio D still runs on it's old booster ;). Talk about quality it ends with the Palio in Fiat's ...

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764086,-121.254789
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i have seen closely how the vendors have been decided upon and how the QC works in FIAT, so i do not agree with you 100%. no ways tata can be blamed. all designs, its specifications , pilot lots QC approval -everything that goes into introduction of product to spare sales A to Z is controlled by FIAT.
    They are not able to control the quality- not only here but in UK as well as other parts of europe.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    this does not seem to be for height increase. its applicable only to latest manufactured cars and the front axles have some problems.
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    @ Ravi / Moderators -

On behalf of TFI i think we should ask Fiat for a total list of chassis number / online portal by fiat where we can put in our chassis numbers and find out what upgrade / retro fittment is applicable for us.

seriously these TASS are nightmare and you keep running from advisors to managers i.e from idiots to monkeys and yet you are clueless whats in the fate of your car.

today i discovered that my linea had plastic clutch cylinder piston. My Ac is not cooling well - i suspect the O-ring leakage. My timing chain makes noise - there is no way to verify that it needs replacement.
    What next - i dont know.

next week i want to take my car for tirupati trip which will cover atleast 3000 kms. do i have guts to take linea- dont know!! i can confidently say that my alto can run from kashmir to kanyakumari without any breakdown, not a single indicator bulb or a mighty fuse will blow off ever, but in case of linea god knows when i need to call RSA and that too dont know how efficient RSA is.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    @italia: you really spoke out what i always feared about, never knew if my car has the needful upgrades done or not, is my car in that given upgarde list or not. I have written to FIAT guys, but no one ever bothered to reply back. And I have very classy dealer, who himself never knows whats going on forget about informing me for updates. Do i need to give any more example then as seen in this case "Axils are getting replaced to increase height", I also went ahead and asked why only front and why not all, and reply was "Aage engine ko touch hota rehta hai, isliye upper kar rahe nai" ...didnt bother to put any further logic :(
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay vj_v1 you bought your 90HP after mine. So I want to ask one question.

My car is June 2011 manufactured and I want to check if my car is eligible for break booster and front axle replacement from FIAT. How do I check eligibility of car? Do we hae list for that?
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Amit,

But the vendors I came across are Tata vendors - Tata Johnson (Seat Height adjustment assembly), Tata Fiaso (Wiper fluid reservoir) etc. So, there is some merit in the argument. Particularly, I assumed it when in the 2nd or 3rd month of purchase, My Linea's wiper tank got damaged on its own !! There is rare possibility that such a part can break. Thereafter there were many such cases of wiper tank giving way. I met Tata Fiaso guy who said, it's not possible that this tank can develop a crack or gets broken. He said they supply it to many car manufacturers (If I'm not wrong the names he took were Indian manufacturers - Tata, Mahindra )
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    deleted wrong post
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011