1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear Windshield shattered

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by prasadkss, Apr 15, 2014.

1. prasadkss

prasadkss Timido

Thane
    I purchased a Linea Turbojet plus 4 months back. On 9th April I parked my car as usual at 08:15 pm in the usual parking spot and in the morning of 10th April, I found that the rear windshield glass had shattered. There is no chance of any stone hitting the car at the spot where it is parked and there are no fruit bearing trees nearby. I have taken couple of photos of the same and am attaching. The dealer says that the glass shattered due to impact of an object and has charged me for the replacement. Can this be due to manufacturing defect? can somebody help me in this? Thanks. Prasad
    10042014515.jpg DSCN2954-1.jpg DSCN2957-1.jpg
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    First of all, felt sorry for your ordeal prasad. It sure seems to have taken a impact. May be some mischievous boy/kid/youngster in your locality accidentally did this and ran away. Purely my personal view.
    Do you live in a society? If yes, please check with security guard who was on night duty that day. He might divulge something.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No Prasad, this damage is done delibretly or accidently by someone, if there was a Manufacturing defect maximum you would see a crack but this is shattered.

Also I would suggest you to go to a reputed store like 3M and have a proper interior cleaning done espically at the rear as there is is glass all over, the A.S.S cleaning is not upto the mark.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I had a similar incident with my Punto sometime back.. I had gone to RDC mtors for a free check up. They wanted to replace the sticker of the earlier service center with theirs. When they were removing the sticker, the rear windshield suddenly cracked and shattered to bits. Fortunately since it happened while in their care, they took it to their workshop and replaced it free in four hours on priority. There was no impact at all. Probably there was a strain in the winshield fitting and it gave away. any way you should have claimed insurance. Tell them about my experience and argue.

Abdul
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I would assume that the glass shattered due a deliberate attempt if there are other damages to the vehicle too. Somebody wont simply try to shatter the glass without any objective. The glass will have to replaced for sure, whether you opt for Insurance claim or entirely from your pocket.

IMO the glass must have been fixed tightly more than reqd or may have been in the hot weather for a long time and one small object hit shattered the glass.
    1 person likes this.
  6. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    u could have claimed insurance.....
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Prasad, very sorry to see this.

There could be many cases involved. One as Abdul has mentioned in his case, it would have been some misaligned fitting. The other scenario is, every glass has what is called a weak spot, the glass tends to crack even in the mildest of impact. So even impact from some tiny object could shatter the glass if it hits the weak spot.

But you can always claim insurance for this and since this is just a 4 month old car, from next year you can take a bumper to bumper insurance.
  8. prasadkss

prasadkss Timido

Thane
    Thanks Krish for your post. I have already got the glass replaced.

Thanks Prashant for your post

Difficult to say how it happened. Anyway, I have replaced the glass. Thanks

Thanks Abdul. From the photo it looks like there was an impact of an object. Anyway, replaced the glass. Thanks

Anup, difficult to pinpoint considering the circumstances. Unfortunately even the CCTV in the building does not cover that particular area. There can be many reasons - kids from the upper floor may have thrown something which may have hit or stone thrown by kids from the neighbouring building!!

Thanks Abhishek for your immediate response. Possible that a kid must have thrown something. Did check the cCTV recording but unfortunately the camera covers only the front bonnet and not the rear. Have told the society to align the camera so that the area can be covered properly. There are other cars parked along side and this can happen to any one of the cars!!!
    1 person likes this.
  9. G-nik

G-nik Timido

Delhi - NCR
    Rear windshield shattered.

I have a Punto MJD(Nov-2012 purchased, 35000 kms run) just like prasadkss my rear glass shattered into pieces yesterday evening. My car was parked in office and while returning back when I put my bag in the car and then closed the door then there was a loud sound of glass shattering and I was just shocked. immediately i turned to the rear and saw glass broken into pieces. I then checked with the company's guard but I was sure they were having the lame answers and excuses like I was here only and i saw nobody here near your car etc etc...then i checked with few workers sitting outside near to my car....they replied they just came here and till then it was fine and maybe due to heat build up inside it broke.... i was like :oops:. my car was on fire or what ...heat building and this crap....then i took my car to Kashyap fiat and there the person found out that there was some mark on the glass below the rear wiper. And also i learnt that from that point where glass was supposed to be hit, all the strong lines over the glass were spreading away to the whole glass. It was just like the earthquake epicenter. all lines starting from that point and spreaded till the every edge of the glass.

My understanding till now was 1) morning car wash person might have wrongly placed the wiper with standing blade and then closed with a force in that posture to hit that mark(hope I am clear in explaining this). after that it was just a mark at that time but crack was creating slowly and when I opened my car in evening with afternoon heat it might have shatterd due to the inside pressure because at that time there was a weak spot developed in the glass.

2) I just checked my office staff people and they informed me that there might have been a grass cutting person with a big machine there and he might have hit the machine or stone flew off from that machine. Not sure about this as there was no CCTV camera outside my office towards parking.

3) Someone might have deliberately did that (may be someone jealous of hot red killer punto or there is the "Appraisal time" going on so might be any colleague angry with me on something).....just joking about this point.

It is a very thin piece of glass with no lamination so it will definitely break into pieces not like the front windscreen.
    Kashyap fiat quote me around 4500 as it was a defogger rear glass.

My question is this price quote seems fine or near to fine?

Attaching the image:
    1.jpg WP_20140508_001.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sorry forgot to mention that the white spot in one image was the mark which was diagnosed by the fiat person...i just forgot the exact place where he told me that spot as when he told me at that time glass was about to break but after sometime it broke like this only after that I remembered to take the photo....so I drew the area range where he told me...it was surely in between the white spot.

- - - Merged Post - - -

SA advised me not to claim for this as anyway i have to pay around 1500 still and then my NCB would have gone...was it right? so i decided to pay all by myself.

My another question is that is there any lamination sheet for rear glass as well such that if it breaks for anyone then glass would not scatter and the cracks would not spread like on this one?
  10. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    didint u opt for wind shield protection at the time of taking insurance. It does not affect NCB if u claim for glass damage....