1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear view mirror in cabin broken

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by sanfiat, Jul 14, 2014.

1. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Everyone.
    I was trying to tilt adjust the Rear view mirror in the car cabin last night to avoid the high beams from the traffic behind when suddenly the mirror came into my hand :p . It broke at the pivot point where the mirror is attached to the assembly pasted on the windshield . But it wa sa bit of shock to me the way it broke. Never seen this sort happening before.
    1. Has anyone come across this sort of situation.
    2. Should i go with Fiat spare/accessory or are there any better options available outside in the market.
    I ask this because i would like to have a mirror which is slighly longer and can cover some more area of view.
    Would appreciate if you guys can suggest soem brands available in market.
    3. Is changing this whole mirror thing can be done ourselves or we require a trained guy. The assembly looks glued to teh windscreen pretty nice and tight.

Thanks folks.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. pratul

pratul Timido

Mumbai
    Same incident happened to me last year. It broke at the pivot point. I got a new mirror from FASS. The assembly is easy and can be done by self. Still I would recommend to get it done from a trained professional. It's quite hard to pull out, specially after its broken down.
  3. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ok Pratul. Thanks for sharing your experience. Will take it to the FASS.

1. How much did the whole thing cost you with fitting and all ?

2. Did you check any other Mirrors avaialble outside FASS before deciding?. Are there any worthwile options avaialble in teh market. Something which is lengthier and can help cover more area ?
  4. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It happened with me about 2 years back. I was searching for mirror outside TASS however could not get one which can easily fit into Punto. Had to replace it from TASS only. Cost was around 500 INR. If you are getting it from FASS, let theses guys do the honor of fitting it. I would suggest to avoid fitting it youself.
    1 person likes this.
  5. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks bud. I will stick to FASS as you suggest and let them do the fitting too.
    1 person likes this.
  6. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    BTW, I was facing part availability issue. In the meantime, I used to fix the mirror with feviquick. Only drawback was mirror would be completely stationary, you can not adjust it.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Its better to get the mirror replaced at authorized Fiat service workshop. The mirror will cost around 500 rupees excluding the labour charges, if you want to save on the labour charges then get it fixed from a trusted source only. Link attached for the cost details.

Fiat Punto: Internal Rear View Mirror

Couldnt understand this requirement, why do you need a longer mirror? What purpose will it serve? The existing one does its job perfectly and covers the maximum area required.
  8. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Ghodlur "Couldnt understand this requirement, why do you need a longer mirror? What purpose will it serve? The existing one does its job perfectly and covers the maximum area required.[/QUOTE]"

you are right in general. But, I have had trouble sometimes in viewing a vehicle which is just around tailing me where the rear bumper is . Not a very a big vehicle but maybe a motor bike trying to overtake from teh left side or a small car.The position and the biker's distance gets such that i cant spot it in the Side mirrors and when i check the rear view mirror in cabin the view is obstructed by the big broad pillar behind the rear passenger seat . So i was wondering if a lengthier mirror might help. Not sure but just wanted to check if it might.
    Sometimes i felt that even for a car if it is running around just at my tail with soem gap and falls in the blind spot. I Get my heart in mouth moment when it suddenly zip pasts me.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Yes the broader C Pillar does create that blind spot and having a longer IVRM will not suffice. You will have to live up with that. However I have adjusted the OVRM's in my Punto such that it covers 1/4 of the rear doors and bumpers and this is sufficient to spot a biker IMO. You can try different positions of the OVRM's to get the max coverage.
    1 person likes this.
  10. elaramvani

elaramvani Novizio

Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
    Chennai
    Linea 1.4
    Rear view mirror in cabin broken

It happens to me also. If the vehicle is in warranty period this will be replaced at FOC. If not will cost around 450+tax. Time required to change is just 10 secs!! for FASS people. Good luck