1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear tyres wearing out more than the front ones on my Linea 2012.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by vaibhavc, Nov 8, 2013.

1. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Hi everyone out there,
    During the recent visit to the local garage for alignment of my Linea (23500 kms) the mechanic told me that the rear tyres of my car are wearing off faster than the front ones. Infact this was told to me right at 10000 kms itself, which i just ignored. I have been religiously doing my car alignment every 4500 kms so i am a bit surprised about this issue. Though the issue is not that alarming at present but i am anticipating more visible difference in tyre appearance once i cross 30000 kms.

The mechanic told me it may be because of axle problem. I don't know how far it is correct.
    I was thinking is it because of the increase in GC of 2012 models?
    Anyone out there with similar problem?

Any solution? suggestions?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Tyre pressure can also cause tyre balding. Have you checked the tread indicator marks? If it wears on either inner or outer edges that may be due to alignment problems itself. Try swapping the rear tyres. And see again after few hundred kilometers. Can't say much about axle or GC related problems though. Please suggest the tyre brand as well so that other users with similar tyres can tell you more about their expected life span.
  3. Dipesh_enr

Dipesh_enr Amatore

Mumbai
    There is no alignment done on the rear tyres during balancing and aligning. Only the front tyres are aligned where factors like King pin inclination, toe, castor, camber etc are involved. Rear tyre wear is a know problem caused due to faulty dead axle & stub axle. Take your vehicle to the FASS and ask them to change it. FAIT is replacing faulty dead axles and stud axles FOC.
    3 people like this.
  4. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Hi asimpleson,
    I check my tyre pressure almost every week and yes i did tyre rotation after 10,000 kms and then again at 20,000 kms. I just came back from the same mechanic and he said rear tyre wearing off is common problem in many cars. He said its because of faulty axle. I will try visiting FASS. If fiat is changing faulty axle then its fine, the only issue is fiat should acknowledge the defect in axle.
  5. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Hi, I'm in the same race as yours. Trying to get this sorted from 2 years now.. :/ Sorry to say, nothing is getting sorted.. so left hopes..
  6. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    HI Jishnu,
    The local mechanic here was saying that he can solve the problem but i was thinking of visiting FASS first but now after reading your post i think its better that i get it rectified locally rather than going to FASS and waste time and money in going to FASS which is about 50 kms from my place.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. oncemoredieselpower

oncemoredieselpower Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi all,

I seem to be having the same problem. Ignored it initially :(

Will get it checked by FASS as my car is going for service tomorrow.

-Deepak
  8. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    I feel the problem may be common with many other Linea owners. The wearing off initially is not that much noticeable so one may tend to ignore it. Also i have learned that proper and regular wheel alignment increases the life of the tyres significantly. Owners of some other brands like Swift, fiesta etc have used stock tyres for almost 65-70,000 kms, though the weight of the vehicle will definitely be a factor for the life of the tyres.

I have not seen anyone using Linea stock tyres for 65000 to 70000 kms on this forum.
    Is there anyone who has used the stock tyres for more than 60,000 kms?