1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear suspension rusted/broken

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by shakesin, Apr 3, 2016.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My GP 1.4 will be 7 this October, clocked 50k. I had just recovered from water flooding, that siezed my engine in Sept 2015. Since Feb mid I was experiencing tick tick sound from the left rear end that I thought was the seat belts stuck under seat. The sound slowly shifted to the right side and I still didn't take it seriously as I was not driving much. Recently went on a short 100km drive and the sound after a speed bump just aggravated, this time I decided to look under the body and was shocked to see screws from both the side that hold the suspensions were out and it looked like the left side had a bit of damage. Reduced my speed to 20 and took the car to the closest mechanic, since it was a Sunday afternoon, couldn't do much but to drive the car back home and wait for the next day, this was the longest 50km and it seems that speed bump had damaged one of the screw holes for the left side rear suspension.
    Finally reached the Adya service center at nagwara, and here is how it looked after reaching the service center(image), the other right screw was still tightly holding the chassis causing complete damage(tore apart) and leaving no options but welding. I submitted documents for insurance and left. Royal sundaram later refused stating it was as a normal wear and tear, but body shop expert says it's nothing he has seen before. The reason he's giving is rust caused by the mud. That points out that I had barely invested on my GPs underbody. Also, take any sound in your car seriously and rush to a service center unless you are 100% sure about the cause.
    The welding fix which I think is only a jugaad will cost 10k, but I'm wondering if it will be safe. The other fix which will cost me around 90k is to replacing the domes above the tyres on both sides that again involves welding and cutting the body. I doubt they will be able to perfectly make that change.
    Looking for suggestions, although this only looks like a lessons learnt post:singing:.
    Thanks,
    Shake.

IMG_20160328_101125.jpg

View attachment 87469

IMG_20160327_160137-1.jpg
  2. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
  3. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @naruf1 He has already said it complete 7 years , so no chance of warranty.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Insurance won't cover the repairs as an accident did not cause the issue in first place.
    I feel it is manufacturing defect and you should take the matter up with Fiat, if the panel would have failed due to rust there would be large amount of rust around the area that got broken but I could not see it in pics.
  5. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    That's true, missed that part.

However, I still believe that the mount for the suspension should not rust and break so easily, and should be worth giving a try writing to fiat.
  6. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks Naruf!
    @vijay, I feel while my car was at the service center in sept-oct for an engine overhaul, someone played around with the rear suspension. Not sure if its easy for them to remove and replace.
    Even if I write to Fiat, the fault was mine since I took almost a month and half to take it for a check.