1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear left tyre wearing out !!

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by thomman85, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mb_amit

mb_amit

Noida
    I too am facing the same problem and am really frustrated. I started facing the puncture issue in tyre since last three to four months. Then realized the tyre tread mark is visible now. My vehicle has done 24000 kms now but the problem started coming since 18000kms. The most consumed tyre has been the rear left one. bt the remaining three are also not is a very good state. Got is checked by the Goodyear technician. He simply mentioned the issue of tyre rotation. My understanding has been that tyre rotation is done as part of usual service. Frankly soeaking, I have been asking about tyre rotation during service but did not check it.

The big issue I have started facing since last two months is the moment odometer touches 100kmoh, the steering starts to wobble and if I increase to 120kmph, the wobbling slows down but is consistently there. Its worst at 100kmph. Planning to go tomorrow to KAshyap FIAT at Noida. Lets see what comes out

Whatever be the case, I don't expect the tyres to go bad in 24000kms.. atleast the life of the tyre should touch 40000+.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Also one more issue, the service man shared that there is a slight bent in the rear right allow. I fail to understand, when its an allow which is supposed to be stronger than steel, how there could be a bent as I drive always in cities and highways and I don't recall any impact that strong to put a dent in alloy...

Spoke to tyreshoppe at sector 5 Noida.. they were sharing that there have been many complaints about the alloys bent in Linea. and shared that they can remove dent in alloy. Is it possible?
  2. pvnaraya

pvnaraya

Chennai
    Me to having same issue with my left rear tyre(mine is OEM JK tyre). Got it checked in Ramkay Fiat, during the last Fiat Service Camp. I am told like, rear alignment( Toe NOK) would be the reason. I was told that Shrimp adjustment needs to be done and it would take around 2 days to complete the same. Is the Analysis correct ?? Shall I go ahead ??
  3. ashish punto1.3

ashish punto1.3 Timido

greater noida
    ntpc dadri
    Grande Punto 1.3
    dear friends!
    even i face the problem of rear tyres wearing out much earlier than usual. when asked by men at kashyap fiat noida they told me the "rear axle must be having a bend.." and simply suggests me to get it fixed for 20k later sometime as i already got a 35k amount bill for the repairs under insurance. please tell me if i can get the rear axle fixed under warranty.this is a 1.3ltr grande active jan2012 model. 55k km.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Looks like left rear side of FIATs is cursed! My Punto has done well for 36500 kms. I always maintain tyre pressure at recommended pressure. So far all tyres had uniform wear. At 36500 kms I did wheel rotation (as recommended front to back swap). After that I drove 500 kms. Inspecting the tyre at the end of the 500 kms drive showed rear left tyre has lost shoulder tread almost completely! Center treads are fine, only both side shoulders are waring out. What may be the reason? Does balancing issue cause shoulder wear even when tyre pressure is adequate? Please suggest.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde, it looks like a camber issue. Although a garage with good experience or a wheel alignment center with experienced people might guide better.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks asimpleson. This forum is a great help for me because I stay 150 kms away from nearest FIAT service station now. It may sound funny, but the fact is I have to take a forced vacation in a city for my car service! It is critical to get the problems fixed to avoid another trip to a city if some problem is detected later. I have service appointment tomorrow morning at Urs Cars, Mysore. I will report the finding tomorrow evening after the service.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde, spoke to RS Motors guys today. Had to go there for some front suspension kat!kat! noise. The lower wishbone (lower control arm) needed replacement. Problem appeared after some stone like object hit the car in that area, and also due to some very off-road conditions in a recent long trip. Spoke to them about your issue. Was informed that some customer had repeatedly visited many workshops with similar problems within a year of purchase. Finally they decided to fix the issue for once and after some 24hrs of trial and error they had to adjust some things via rear axle (shims!?) adjustment. You might wanna have a phone chat with them if you have trouble finding the fault. PM me if you need their no.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @asimpleson it is a pleasure to have friendly and helpful people like you in this forum :)

Car was serviced on Friday, 26-Dec-2014. Service mechanic agreed rear left tyre had some amount of shoulder wear. He suspected suspension problem. Indeed rear shocks had developed leakage. He suggested changing the shocks and observing the tyre for few hundred kms. I accepted the resolution and changed to new set of shocks. Total dent on pocket is Rs. 3980.00 for 2 shocks + Rs. 1060.00 labour (looks steep for me) = Rs. 5040. After that I did a Mysore-Bangalore and back trip yesterday. So far it looks good; at least shoulders are not wearing any more than what was there already. Hopefully it is all fixed now. I will know for sure when I return to my place tomorrow (Mysore to my place is 430 kms - long enough to show any signs of uneven wear I believe). Will update after that.
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    I've already done a number of replacements w.r.to strut/shocks/steering rack (full). Mine is 2012 model and I think the increased GC batch has a lot of these issues. Front left tyre had uneven wear - this is after a number of alignments and balancing. Recently, after rotation the vehicle started moving towards left by its own. After a time consuming session by Hyson FIAT (Kochi), the issue seemed to be resolved, but it came back within a few 10's of KMs and a slight left pull is still there.

I attribute all these to unreliable suspension/steering rack setup - it will weaken tyres and will reduce tire life. Hope the issues are resolved in Evo.
  10. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So it seems the post 2012 makes of the punto suffers the issue.Is there a specific reason came out for the uneven wear for these cars manufactured post 2012?