1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear Drum Brakes Change

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ganges, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tfians,

Whats the life of rear drum brakes? when i need to check this ? My ride have done 84K Kms till now never checked,is this the right time to check/change ?
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

As long as you are not able to push the car when the handbrake is engaged, you need not worry.

I guess the brakes shoes are of the self-adjusting type and would adjust themselves as they wear out.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes they are self-adjusting type. But 84 K is a lot. The shoes can harden up due to the constant heating - cooling cycle. While they may have enough bite to hold back a parked car, they may not be contributing the optimal 30% brake force when used with the car running, meaning the the brake force will be more biased to the front, than necessary.

Better to get it replaced. They are not a very expensive component.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I changed at 60k , FASS charged around 3.5k IIRC.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Ganges anna thinks on behalf of me all the time, thanks for the thread anna.

I have been hearing a faint keeek... sound from the rear of my car whenever i engage the reverse gear in my office parking lot. I wasn't sure for a few days what was causing the noise, Last week i realized that it was actually from the drum brake and not the Reverse gear and happens everytime i release the brake, however the noise is heard only in the parking lot where all noises are magnified.

Im hoping that the springs are making the noise and some lubrication would sort it out, but given that my car has done around 67K will use the opportunity to change the pads if they seem to have reached EOL.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I changed mine at 60K and it made a huge difference to braking.
    1 person likes this.
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last time i checked @60k Kms service. Mechanic said it can be changed @ 75k Kms.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i will change it during 90K Kms service.
  9. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I had the exact same sound in my Punto, just a little lubrication should sort things out. Mine was at 60K when I started hearing this noise.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Champs,

i'm planning to change the rear drum brake shoe.i believe this is the only thing is required to change the rear brakes ? Will get it done at local garage.As F for FIAT service centre is not available at my location.

brakes.jpg