1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rear Defogger Damaged & Not Working.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Harsh, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Recently The RTO picked up its activity against dark sun films and my car was targeted many times.
    Finally a group of cops got to me and confiscated my licence -_-.

So i removed my sun films and went to collect my licence. Anyways what happened is that when i was removing the rear shield's film, the defogger strips have also come out. Somewhere the entire strip is missing and somewhere certain pieces are gone. When i tried to switch the defogger on, on a fogged rear window, it did not work.
    what should i do? change the rearshield? or go to TASS and get it repaired?
    Will this be covered in warranty?
    Will i get insurance if i have to pay?
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Too bad buddy. AFAIK, changing the windshield is the only option. I do not believe warranty will cover damage caused by an aftermarket accessory (Sun Control Film). No idea about insurance though.

All the best.

Rajan
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You cannot claim the insurance too because the damage is caused by an after-market accessory (Insurance covers only the factory fitted accessories and the damage caused by them). You need to change the entire windshield only. You would have read the manual before going for the sun control film as the manual says don't stick that touches the coils of the defogger.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hey check some shops at sion koliwada or milan subway, who dose the same job without removing the rear windscreen.
    I'm not sure about this but some of my friends added the rear defogger to their altos.

just try your luck
    1 person likes this.
  5. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    From what I have read on the net, the heating elements are some kind of conductive paint and people elsewhere have been able to repair broken elements. Let me know if it works out for you, I have a kaput defogger too. Mine must have gone bad when I had changed the films from Garware to VKool 2 years back, only found out during the next monsoon and TASS said glass needs to change :(
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Harsh, you got to change the rear windscreen as Rajan has said.

To minimise your expense, I would advise you to shatter the rear windscreen and call up insurance guys. :D

The total cost would be within 4k for the job. All the best.

BTW, this is the reason I never stick films on the rear, even if its 100 percent transparent. The Punto's rear glass does not let much of greenhouse too.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The Palio had rear glass made in Brazil and costed a bomb. Just checked a Punto and it has dot code 616, meaning made by Asahi Glass, Haryana. Must be relatively cheap. If infact it is around the 4K range, then may not be worth losing NCB by claiming insurance.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It will not be covered under warranty.
    You cannot claim insurance till glass is broken.
    I will not recommend repair,get a replacement glass.
    Take this as a lesson,and never install Sunfilm on rear glass with defogger,i have never done so in my vehicles.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think front windscreen is around 3.5K, so rear should not be too much from it.
    1 person likes this.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Front windscreen costs 5k plus at TASS. And my estimate includes labour, sealant. My total cost was 6.5k at Windshield Experts.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.