1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rattling with Rear seat - Design Issue

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vayfiat, Nov 9, 2014.

1. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    I'm sure many of the Punto owners in TeamFIAT has gone through this already. Most of us are either living with it or are not sure what exactly has to be done. I have tried to escalate the issue with Vecto Motors (Hosur Road, Bangalore) and till now they have given excellent service in listening to me and they have filed a investigation report (they call it a "DIR" - I don't know what D stands for) so that FIAT officials will look into this by involving the seat vendor. I had posted the issue in the forum earlier and I did not get any solutions other than the temporary ones. I'm so tired and ashamed about this issue that I thought this deserves a new thread for itself. One might feel this being a small niggle/issue - but for me, it is a constant irritant while going over rough roads or roads with pot holes. And while my friends are there they will keep blaming me for taking a FIAT, which I don't agree with - because we know that FIAT experience is above all these. :)

Issue: Rattle/Thud noise from rear seat (60 split seat) lock while on rough roads or when going over a pothole.

The pictures below show how the seat rests on the car's body. The first pic is the one-side open (so that we can lift the sits and fold it one more) hinge on the bottom.
    Punto0001.JPG Punto0004.JPG

The pic below shows the bolt fitted on car's body (this is adjustable, as per the SAs in Vecto) - this is where the seat lock gets latched.
    IMG_20141108_193755603.jpg

The lock is shown in the pic below:
    Punto0006.JPG
    In the pic above, you can also see the portion where some paint got peeled due to excessive amount of insulation tape application on the lock's bolt. Ideally the bolt should look like the one below (I wanted Vecto guys to remove the excess of insulation tape - but i don't have a pic of it though). But even in this pic, there is an excess amount of insulation - but still better.

Punto0010.JPG

The flaw in this design is that there is no other mechanism other than this to lock this huge split seat. Ideally, there should be two locks on the floor to hold the seat grounded. Below given pics show this:

Punto0017.JPG
    Punto0007.JPG

It doesn't matter how much ever you apply insulation tape (or similar dampener) on the bolt, due to the fact that the other end doesn't have any lock with the car body, the seat will keep jumping a little bit on rough roads and the insulation tape will keep getting deformed and worn out and the noise will be back within two weeks or a month or so. I don't know why such a bad design was made for such a strong and good car. Following are the effects after I started getting these temporary fixes:
    • SA will try to apply a particular amount of insulation tape till he sees the rattle disappears. Sometimes it will be done till the lock's tolerance level (if you overdo the insulation tape, lock will not get latched). Need not I tell, it will be extremely tough to lock the seat - you need to literally bang the seat on the lock.
    • The insulation tape stuff is good enough for smaller potholes. When I go over moderately big ones, the tape will again get deformed and I get to hear this thud.
    • The lock was once replaced by Vecto because the lock lost its action.
    I don't know the road way forward. I hope the DIR will be noticed by FIAT and I get a permanent resolution.

Thanks to Konad Dutta (not a member of TeamFIAT, but he is a frequent visitor in the forum) - I met him in Vecto - 90HP Punto owner - needless to say he is a huge fan of FIAT and its vehicles. He helped me explain why this issue is happening.
    zenwalker, Ravi and ghodlur like this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I did have this rear seat rattling issues in my Punto and had shown it to Fiat in Thane, they couldnt identify it. One of the technicians actually knew the source of this issue and it turned out to be improper locking. As rightly said the latching bolt is adjustable and after a few attempts the correct position was reached and seat latched correctly in the latch. After that no rattling was observed from rear seats atleast.
  3. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    @ghodlur: Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for the seat vendor representative to come and sort the issue out. This will be presented to them along with a squeaking issue of the driver seat. Hope they will have a better idea.
    The issue anyway is result of a very bad design done by FIAT.
  4. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vayfiat, are you sure on the rear seat ?

Well there is quite a lot of plastics, the main culprit is plastic body which holds the rear parcel tray.
    The FASS will only open the latch and bang the bench, even I had a that but then after they did this I swore I would never ever complain to them about this.
    Check the side plastic panels.
  5. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    @Anup: I'm damn sure about the cause of the issue. It is the lock. I have tried shaking the bench and it recreates the sound every time. The noise goes off if I use more insulation tape.
    About banging the bench against the bolt - you will need to bang and close the bench even if you remove the whole of the insulation tape that is applied on top of the bolt - that is because of the design. But if more insulation tape is applied, you will need to bang it harder - which is indeed bad. Till now, the SAs were doing this insulation tape exercise or they will go adjusting the bolt position. I want a permanent solution here.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Lately I am having rear left side seat rattle, I presume this should be the reason. Ill consult the fass.
  7. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    If you are going to Vecto, get hold of Mithun(SA) - he is a really good guy to deal with. He knows this issue and you can mention my name.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @vayfiat
    All my services are handled by him so far. Last time I reported the problem he fixed it and it didn't come for a while and its now creeped back. :banghead:
  9. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    What he tries to do is to keep adjusting the bolt's position. Tell him that this doesn't work and you need a permanent solution and you know what is happening with "Vinod Krishnan" - my name. Then he will ask you get the issue escalated. :) My front driver seat is squeaking - these together have been filed as a DIR now.
    zenwalker likes this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @vayfiat
    Since filing DIR are there any progress being reported?